SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ballen126

Drywall Repair, What size and thickness of drywall do I get?

ballen126
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I've been at this project for almost two months mostly because of time and bust schedule. I decided to repair our drywall after we had gotten our foundation crack patched and fixed where the company we hired had to cut into the drywall to fix the inner crack. It's a fairly big vertical cut but they don't any carpentry. I decided to tackle this myself but running into issues.
First ssue is I tried to use smaller drywall 4x4 patch panels to install along the 8ft (height) incesion which I cut to size. I noticed the drywall panels were inconsistent when I verified if it sat flush once I screwed them in and noticed some of the panels protruded outward about 0.05 of an inch from the original wall and some sunk about the same inward. I went to measure the thickness of the original drywall and found out it's 0.55inches thick which I know isn't made. I'm only able to find 0.5inch drywall any recommendations on what I should get? Is it worth investing in the 4ft (w) x 8ft (h) drywall so I can patch the vertical hole in one go instead of before using smaller panels?
Second issue is I tested and put the first coat of drywall compound and instantly noticed inward grooves with the tape and drywall which would be noticeable if I continued is there anyway I can fix that?
Please reference pictures below

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths