SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Adventures in contracting part 2 (here we go!)

weedyacres
15 years ago

For those of you who provided feedback, solace, and advice about a month ago, when we struck out doing a competitive bid for a room addition (jog your memory here), I think we've finally got it right the 3rd time.

A coworker whose family is in the biz (why did I never know that before?) and whose hubby does foundation work, referred me to a reputable builder he does a lot of work for, who mostly does houses and is slow right now. I gave him the plans two weeks ago, he came back with a bid just shy of $42K, and we agreed on $40K with us taking back the demo of the patio into our bucket. His hoping to get the footings in next Tuesday(!!!)

He brought over his (one-page) contract, and we agreed on a draw schedule of 25% up front and 25% at completion of each phase: foundation, framing, brick. He's carrying worker's comp and liability, we're getting builder's risk insurance, he'll give us lien waivers from the subs before payment of the draw, and we'll agree in writing on any change orders.

BTW, he said the mason's bid was about $6K, compared to the $16K in the pricey bid in my previous post.

Anyway, we're pretty happy to have settled this, and excited to get underway. I'll post photos of the progress, as he's estimating about a month from start to finish.

Comments (30)