SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerskye_gw

Deciding between two agents

summerskye
16 years ago

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome on this board by posting questions, but I received some good advice in response to my posts and from reading others so here I go again. We are working with a relo company to sell our home in a market that is saturated with similar homes, mostly new construction. We cancelled our listing agreement with our first agent after three showings in 4 months. Now we have narrowed it to two agents to relist.

One was recommended by the relo company. I interviewed him several months ago and I really liked him then because he showed up with an actual marketing plan and talked about his background and what he would do to sell our home, while the agent my husband wanted to go with(and who we ultimately chose) showed up with a 6-month listing agreement. This time my husband interviewed him over the phone, and was a bit put off by the guy's aggressiveness and tendency to interrupt. However out of the 70 something homes that sold in June in our area, this agent sold three of them, for at or near the list price. He currently has 7 other listings and always seems to be in a hurry on the phone, like he has somewhere to be. This could be because he doesn't want to spend much time with us again only to have us go with someone else, or it could be a ploy to look sought after(what my husband thinks) or he could be legitimately in high demand. He did not recommend a specific price, just "under $350k" which we already knew.

The other agent we like is with a bigger company, (Remax), has 4 other listings, sold one home in May, and seems more available. The other relo companies she has worked with bought the homes when they didn't sell, and she asked me twice if I am sure we won't get that too. She also has brought up renting the house out if it doesn't sell. She said that the two biggest things that will sell our house other than price are marketing it to other agents and having a strong Internet presence. She does have a nice web site. She recommended a slightly lower price than what we had in mind but it's one we can live with. My only other concern with her is that I'm not sure she was okay with the 35% of her commission that the relo co. keeps; she kind of dodged the question when I asked about it.

Any ideas on who to go with or what else to ask? The more aggressive salesman who works out of a smaller office with less web exposure, or the more personable but maybe not so aggressive one? I'm feeling paralyzed with fear and don't want to waste any more time with the wrong agent!Thanks for any advice here.

Comments (8)