SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisakk_gw

1969 ranch/rambler home purchase

lisakk
13 years ago

We just got the inspection report back on a 1969 house we've made an offer on. The house is very well maintained above the crawlspace, but a few issues came up that my husband and I are not too happy about.

1) The house was built with galvanized pipes and after 41 years there is rusty water coming out and noticable loss of water pressure when more than one faucet is running at once.

2) The heating ducts under the house are sagging open and in one spot a coffee can has been used to replace a heat duct section (I'm not kidding).

3) The hot water heater is 17 years old and leaks slightly at the top. The original warranty was 5 years.

Our closing costs are $5000. Would it be fair to ask the sellers to pay our closing costs in lieu of renegotiating the price? I don't want to be nitpicking, and they did just install a new roof, but I think the above items should be in better shape.

There were a lot of other items on the inspection that were just not required by code in 1969 (GFIs, smoke detectors, chimney cap, only four foundation vents, etc.) that we're willing to fix or add ourselves, but clean, clear water should be a given.

Comments (8)