SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Who gets out of work early on 12/24....

15 years ago

...and how have you spent that time, historically?

Even if you're retired or work at home, did you get out early back in the day? We get out at noon on Christmas Eve except one person has to stay on the job until closing time, 6PM. If Christmas is on a Sunday or Monday, it applies to the previous Friday. Although officially that person is not entitled to a half day off at another time, that person is granted an 'unofficial' break at a time of his/her choosing by local management. Sort of "don't ask don't tell". Staying isn't too bad because those who might call in for our help are usually off as well. This year, it's me.

When I was a young guy, I did what most young guys do in that position - go out and drink! When I worked in center city, far from home, I did take it easy. If I was withing 'crawling distance' of home, I let 'er rip! Not smart at all, I admit, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now a days I almost don't drink at all; it takes about 72 hours before I feel 100% again after a good one. On one of my worst outings I was out partying from noon until about 9 or 10. I woke up the next day with a bad upset stomach. Without getting too graphic, I saw blood. THAT scared me, and I cut back a lot after that.

Hey, I wasn't always as clean-cut as I am today! Besides, the roads are clogged up with live stops by the police these days. Not worth the risk!

Comments (27)