SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanengineer

12x24 tile layout on shower walls

oceanengineer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am in the middle of a remodel and the guys have started tiling the shower walls. This is a reasonably large shower about 70 inches long and 50 wide. We are using 12x24 inch ceramic tile laid with a 33% offset.

They have completed tiling the 70" side wall and we have got into a discussion on how to continue the tiling on the two side walls. It has always been my understanding that the tiles would "fold" at the corners and the section of tile cut off from the 70" wall would continue at 90 degrees.

They say that they prefer to "frame" the tiles on the 50" walls to get the best layout on the 50" wall and then let the corners end up as the pattern falls out. What I can see that I end up with a pice of tile 3" wide on one side of the corner and then have a 8" section continuing - this looks a bit odd to me but they say this is a layout they commonly use - my thought is maybe not with 12x24" tile and in an offset pattern.

Most of the pictures I see on the internet show the "folded" tile look which is what I think i prefer but since the tile layout was started on the back wall may end up with some odd cuts at the ends.

Just trying to get some feedback from the experts here as they will be coming back to start on the other walls first thing in the morning!

Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living