SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johncritter

12V DC Keypad to feed an 16-24V AC electric door strike?

johncritter
14 years ago

Hi folks... I just realized my little project has a small snag -- two different voltages involved...

I bought a RFID Access control unit (a keypad-style device where you can swipe an Radio-Frequency ID tag near the reader to allow access into the building), and I hoped to run an electric door strike from it. The door strike normally sits in the locked position, and when juice hits it, it moves a piece of metal out of the way (I assume via magnets) to permit the door's latch to clear the door strike so people can enter.

I think normally the door strikes would be operated directly by a doorbell transformer, getting the electric only when someone inside pushes the button to "buzz" someone in. Since this is for an unattended building, I needed the Access Control unit to decide when to "push the buzzer", when a proper RFID is presented to it.

The Access Control unit runs on 12VDC, and it says its Lock Relay is 12VDC, but the electric door strike said 16-24V, and I think it is AC.

How would I hook up the two? Seems like I'd need a second transformer??

Pic of Keypad unit

Pic of door strike

Keypad specs

Keypad wiring diagrams

Any instruction on what wires on the keypad need to be connected to the strike or the strike transformer, etc would be a help... I'm getting very confused, partially because of all the extra terminals in the diagram (for bell, ground, etc), and the butchered-English the pamphlet is written in isn't helping.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

John

Comments (10)