SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Quick, easy, and cheeeeeep 'token gift' (1 pic)

alisande
14 years ago

I like to give my daughter's in-laws something small and handmade at Christmas. One year I painted t-shirts for them, another year it was painted glass ornaments. This year's gift is the cheapest and easiest yet!

I bought plain white mugs at AC Moore for 50¢ apiece. I intended to paint them, but while I was trying to think up personalized designs my cousin Barbara (who always has ideas) gave me the idea of writing on them instead.

I experimented with various Sharpies, and found that not every color held fast to the surface of the mug. This was especially true if I sealed it by painting a clear glaze over the writing. Purple turned out to be my most reliable color.

Here's a picture of the first one I did. It's for my DD's MIL, who has diabetes and uses a lot of Splenda. As you can see, it doesn't look very professional (hey, it's hard to write pretty on a mug!), but I was going for heartfelt and funny. For the others, I used quotations that applied to the individuals. For instance, to a guy who wears $250 jeans, I used my favorite quote from Thoreau: Beware of all enterprises requiring new clothes.

I think some of you should try this! The glaze I used is available at AC Moore and Michael's. It's intended to be used over paints designed for glass and other shiny surfaces. As you can see in the picture, some of the green vine smeared because that particular paint was the wrong kind. I'll probably do this mug over.

Comments (12)