SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Anyone Have Bifocals? Help Needed Please

Rudebekia
13 years ago

For some reason getting new glasses is akin to getting a root canal for me. But I need new bifocals and just visited the eye doctor for a new prescription. There seem to be a lot of end of the year deals right now, so I may try to get this done this week. The trouble is that I hated my last set so much that I never wore them. Evidently they are so small (read: fashionable) that the reading part of them was almost impossible to find: I had to keep cocking my head this way and that to read a sentence in full. One of my eyes is near sighted and one far sighted; I also want no-line bifocals. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to look for or where to go to stream line this process. The online sites are attractive but I'm a bit afraid to use them. One of the reasons I hate this process is the expense of glasses and then the fear (like my last bifocals) that it will be a virtual waste of money. BTW, I don't have to wear glasses all the time and around the house usually just rely on reading glasses. I'm a teacher, however, and the bifocals are increasingly needed in the classroom where I need to be looking down at a book in my hand as well as looking up to call on the kid in the last row. I realize my questions are somewhat vague but any advice would be helpful from experienced bifocal wearers/shoppers. Thanks.

Comments (24)

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

i so know how you feel. i have bi's and never wear them inside the house, but just for driving...as for reading forget it. at a grocery store, they're on top of my head...in fact don't wear them watching tv, can't always read things like scores (during games) but it's ok...and yes mine are small...

first have read mostly pro as to the on-line glasses...but then i don't recall if the people who ordered them were in your situation...(bi's and 2 different lense requirements)

in your case, and being a very demanding professional job, i might see where the dr reccomended...

we do use the costco store for our needs... which is where the dr's office is, and the staff is very good...the prices arn't the best (on-line) or as high like pearl or other vision stores...

be open as to size. a man-sized verson of the smaller lense might be a creative way of going bigger without looking like a throw-back to the 90's lol...

no matter where you go or decide, i'd get the best i could afford...look at it from a different perspective...not the first cost, but yearly cost...most of us, unless serious conditions, can get by with one pair for several years...besides, at least for this year, it can be used as part of your medical expenses on your income tax...

• chessey24
    13 years ago

I have progressives (no-line) and I like them(as much as I like any glasses). There was a "learning curve" but reg. bifocals made me dizzy and didn't want separate pairs. You do need to be aware of the size of the lens - some of the small ones are just too small but you don't need to go to great big ones either. They should be able to tell you whether there is enough room in the lens or not. Whether these will work for occasional wear, is not something I can tell you as I wear mine all the time.

• Related Discussions

Anyone have frieze carpet upstairs? I need your help!!

Q

Comments (5)
    We installed Friese throughout our upper level as well as the stairs and love it! We've had it for 2.5 years and if you look closely you can see where we walk the most on the stairs, but it doesn't bother us because it doesn't show any dirt, feels so soft on your feet and it still looks/feels brand new. No offense but I hate Berber because it lacks all of the qualities that the Frieze has. And for years I've heard the professionals push the Berber claiming it's easier to maintain and cleans well, but I've yet to seen an installation that proves that to be true. On the other hand, we have an older cat that has gotten sick a couple of times on our Frieze and it cleaned really well. We took a tiny bit of laundry detergent watered down on a wet towel, blotted out the mess and then blotted it dry afterward and it cleaned beautifully. I would have happily installed it on the entry level as well, but we have wood flooring. Instead, I'm considering having a large piece cut & bound to use as a rug in our living room.
    ...See More

Does anyone have these pendants? help me choose please...

Q

Comments (21)
    I have a dining room chandelier with clear glass hurricanes on each of five arms. I put them through the dishwasher occasionally and dust when the spirit moves me. If the fixture were hanging in kitchen in the constant line of sight dusting would require more attention. I've put matte white glass pendants in my kitchen and am very glad--I know I need to dust when I feel the dust with fingers, not when I see it with eyes. My guests and family are less likely to notice. What about a non-globe fixture, something with an upturned faux candle aspect to it? There have been stunning ones used in GW kitchens. You can put bare or frosted bulbs in, depending on preference.
    ...See More

Mombasa granite..Does anyone have this?....Tile help needed

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you ..We are thinking about a very simple tile and something more neutral or like ellendi stated...pick one color for an accent. We have to watch not to get too busy because the granite has much movement and our floor is a travertine look. We've seen some W. Zanger granite that we really like....gotta go to the tile store and get some ideas... Gotta post pics....
    ...See More

Is it a thing to have bifocals with nothing on top?

Q

Comments (22)
    Eyeglasses that work for me has been a struggle for the past 2 years. I had vision correction surgery (a radial keratotomy) done close to 30 years ago -- I was extremely nearsighted (hold up fingers and see if I could count them instead of the eye charts!) and was starting to have problems with tolerance to the contact lenses (which I had been wearing since age 10 - put into them to stop the progression of the nearsightedness). Wonderful for the first 15 years, then as presbyopia set in I also starting having trouble with double vision - due to astigmatism, I am told, secondary to the procedure and the extreme correction. They didn't know that would be a problem with aging back then. So at first OTC readers did the trick (for both problems), but I had to keep getting stronger ones. Once I was up to needing more than 3.0 I gave in and got prescription progressives - from an ophthalmologist - and just couldn't adjust to them. The mid and reading portions were just too narrow and too low on the lens -- I rely on the mid most of all, as my vision fluctuates and that range is the most common one that I need. I explained that but they just couldn't seem to make them for my needs. So I went to one of those cheap glasses in a day places and had them separate the mid, distance and near into 3 separate frames. I rarely use the near, even for reading -- It all depends on my eyes on that day - generally live in the mid, and use the distance for watching TV sometimes. I keep the original, expensive-even-with-insurance progressives in the car for the times that I need distance for driving. I have no complaints about the cheap lenses, by the way.
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    13 years ago

I am on my third pair and yes with the glasses size decreasing the usefulness of the bi focal also goes down.
    You have to be very cautious of taking the "fashion" advise from the sales girl. I have never thought of my glasses as an accessory, they are a necessity and I really do not want the world to look and say, "GEE great glasses"! I would rather they say, "Hi, you look nice".
    I would be sure what you buy has a trial period. Don't let them tell you they don't. If you put out that much money and you can't see out of them, don't wear them, keep them on your head..then you need to return them and try a different style. I made them move the bifocal on my latest pair until it was sitting where it did some good. Even now I am not 100% happy, these small lenses are just not cut out for actually SEEING.

• jae_tn2
    13 years ago

try lenscrafters if there is one near you. you have at least 30 days to "love" the frame and lens. took 3 trys with my last no=line but they worked until i was happy.

• scraphappy
    13 years ago

Marita40 - I also have one eye nearsighted, and one farsighted! I wonder what causes that?
    Last time I had new glasses, about a year ago, I went to a smaller lense, and have had no problems with the size. It's not teeny-tiny, just smaller than the ones I had before. Several times in the past, if my prescription had changed (which it seems like it does every time I have my eyes checked) I have just kept the same frames. Invest in nice frames that you like, and that look nice on your face, and just replace the lenses.
    One of my friends said she thought she actually looked better with her glasses on, as they tend to hide those little aging lines around the eyes, and I agree. I just wear mine all the time.

• User
    13 years ago

It took me years to get used to my bifocals, now I have progressives with the line. Some say it better with no line and some say its harder to get used to. Get a larger frame with more glass so then you can see a little better. Glasses are no pleasure how ever you look at it.
    If you are still having a problem take them back in, they may need adjusted or placed in the frame differently.

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

I have been wearing glasses for 52 years. Bifocals only for 16. My first pair was very hard for me to get used to.

Got them at age 40, while in class, could not see my notes as well as the black board.

But now, no problem. In my sports/sunglasses (wear mostly to ride my bike) I have only line focal in only one lens. Don't use the right eye much anyway, it's a "lazy eye".

I feel better with the line glasses, and am considering getting line glasses for my every day all day glasses.

Glasses are such an expensive investment, that I am also usually just getting new lenses when my prescription changes.

Got these frames early 2009, and new lenses last month.

Moni

• kacram
    13 years ago

I USED to have one farsighted and one nearsighted.
    But when I started using computers at my old place
    of work all day long, I'm now near sighted in both!

I have lined bifocals. After listening to DH complain
    and take his no lines off EVERY DAY FOR A YEAR, I
    decided to go with lined. No biggie. Actually, with the
    non glare, it is hard to see the lined focals anyway.
    I've purchased my glasses at a TON of different places.
    Many, VERY very expensive. These last ones, I've had for
    a month and I love. I got them at Costco for half the
    price of of last years at lense crafters. Ask the
    tech about the size of the lense for bifocals and
    tell them to be really honest about fitting the bifocal
    in. I won't even try on ones that look to small. Besides,
    they look funny on my big head. I don't know how to
    buy glasses online. I need someone to fit, and then they
    need to mark where to put your bifocal. I wouldn't
    chance it.

Now, my friend Deb, she has TRI focals and loves them.
    distance, computer and reading. AND they are UNLINED.
    she said it took a while but she loves them. I do have
    a problem with the computer.. so I adjust the size
    of the print on my screen. lol

• azzalea
    13 years ago

I've been wearing progressives for over 20 years.

And my dd is an optician.

Progressives are the lenses where they're infinitely blended so you can see near, far and every distance in between. If you're considering them, there are a few things you should know. MOST progressives, even the best brands, have some side distortion. Compuvue computer progressives being the exception there--those are amazing and are made so the upper portion of your lense is the right prescription for computer use, the lower portion is for reading. If you do a lot of computer work, I'd strongly recommend getting a separate pair solely for that use--makes a HUGE difference.

But back to regular progressives. They do take some time to get used to--when you get your new glasses, you'll want to wear them enough, and give them enough time for you to really get to feel comfortable in them

Now, here's the important thing. All progressives are NOT the same. There are many, many brands out there. DD has worked in discount chains where they use the cheap quality ones, and in a high-end dr's office where they stick with quality products. She was just saying a bit ago, that when she worked at the chains, they told her (and their customers) there was no difference, that all the lenses were comparable. Now that she's working with the better ones, she says she's found there is NO comparison--that the cheap ones aren't anywhere near as good as the better quality brands. This is something she's seen for herself, and through the 'eyes' of her clients.

I, myself, have always stuck with Varilux lenses--they're some of the better ones, and I've never ever had a problem with them.

I'd strongly recommend that you do a couple of things--if you are going to go to a discount chain, find out what brand lenses they'll be selling you, and then research them to find out if the quality is acceptable before you place your order. IF you decide to buy at a discount chain, and are told you're going to be getting a specific brand of lenses, after you get your glasses, I'd go to another optician to have them read (all progressives have laser markings identifying the brand)--to make sure you got what you paid for.

Most 'people on the street' aren't really aware that there is such a wide range of quality in eyewear. It pays to know something about the product, and to go to a high end optical shop, and to know what you want, what you're willing to accept. After all, you depend on your eyes many hours a day, and your glasses should be the best you can possibly get. Better lenses WILL give you better results. I'm extremely frugal (I only order water when I eat out, to save the dollar or 2 that other beverages cost, for example--LOL), but I will NOT skimp on the quality of my glasses.

• User
    13 years ago

I only wear my bifocals at work. At home, right now: drug store reading glasses.

The monitor at work is far enough away from me that I am able to read it. It helps that it's a black screen with green print. I do some paperwork in which I have to find the reading spot and after four months of wearing bifocals, I'm finally getting better at finding it. I just hate reading shelf labels especially those on shelves that are above eye level or the lowest shelf.

Talk to the people at the store you're going to. They'll recommend a lens that works great for you. I don't have 'fashionable' lenses. I have no-name glasses that are practical. I bought a second pair that are transistional for driving and am not crazy about them. They don't get dark enough. Instead, I bought clip on sunglasses for my regular glasses.

You want a lens that is large enough for a decent sized reading area. A good store will sell you those over the high end name brand glasses. Stay away from Lens Crafters! They told me the $1000 pair of brand name bifocals were the cheapest I would find. I went to Hakim Optical and got TWO pairs for $500. No name.

• rosemaryt
    13 years ago

In 7th grade, I got my first pair of eyeglasses. My vision back then was 20/200. I'm very near-sighted.

For the last 10 years, I've needed bifocals and have avoided them. In June 2010, I got a new prescription and new eyeglasses.

I went with separate reading glasses. I still do not have bi-focals. I read voluminously and when I read a book, I do not want to be tilting my head this way and that. I just want to read.

Everyone said I'd hate having two pairs of eyeglasses but I think I made the right choice. It's nice to be able to see the computer again (which is what I use the reading glasses for) and it's nice to be able to see the ground when I'm walking or riding my bike (with my new non-bifocal glasses).

Rose

• nanny98
    13 years ago

I just want to wish you well in your search. It is a PIA, and I have'm all. Computer glasses. Reading glasses. Tri-focal that are dizzy to read any length of time with, but wear all of the time (when not just reading/computering. Best of luck. Nanny

• luckygardnr
    13 years ago

Is the reason you need bifocals because one eye is nearsighted and the other farsighted? If so, I would maybe talk to your eye doctor about just having a nearsited lens for one side and a farsighted lens for the other. From what I understand it takes a few days to get used to, but the brain makes the adjustment.

If your problem is that each eye has it's own bifocal issue, then please ignore what I just suggested, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I pretty much agree with Kat on this one........The unlined progressive glasses are just not nearly as good as the regular bifocals and way more expensive. I like that I can wear them all the time and not have to worry about taking them on and off etc etc but when I am doing really close work I have to admit that I go to my old readers for the really detail stuff........

My frames are not teeny tiney either.........I got mine at Wal-Mart.......

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

Best advice anyone gave me to adjust to my trifocals is look where your nose is pointing, not to the side, not up or down. I didn't get dizzy at all and I had NEVER worn glasses before (except for OTC readers)! Didn't start wearing them until 1998ish at the age of 50! Stairs were tricky at first, but I got it right, haven't fallen yet.
    And make sure you go to a reputable place, one of the "eye" places I went to, I was never really happy with them, especially for driving. We moved and I went to a new eye place and they said that the alignment for distance was way off. No wonder I had problems with them for driving. Thought it was me!
    Kathy G in MI

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I've had progressive lenses for quite a long time and have only had a problem with one pair. I got them at Lenscrafters and they kept working with me until they were acceptable. That was a smaller pair and I didn't like them as much as others so got a slightly larger frame the next time that I've been very happy with. I've never purchased the premium progressive lenses and I've found the "cheap" ones to be just fine. I did however get a cheap antirelective coating without my knowledge - didn't ask for antireflective - and that was REALLY a PIA.

I do think it could be hard to really adjust to progressive lenses if you don't just put them on your face and wear them all the time. If you're constantly taking them on and off you're constantly attempting to get used to them every time you put them back on.

I work on a computer all day (and a lot at night for personal use) and I've never used separate computer glasses. I think that would also be a PIA - bad enough to have to carry sunglasses and regular glasses.

• azzalea
    13 years ago

Someone here bought transitions for driving? Did you TELL the optician that you were getting them for driving? If so, don't ever go back to that optician. They're the kind of person who will sell you anything to make a profit, rather than selling you the RIGHT thing for your use. Most Transitions are NOT good for driving, because, since you're in the car, with a roof over you, they don't get enough direct sunlight to make them darken adequately. There is one line that's supposed to be a little better for that, but they're expensive.

And that does bring up another point for the OP--be sure to tell your optician what you generally do, how you'll be using your glasses. Not every lense (and I'm not just talking about Transitions here) is right for every purpose. If you don't let your eyecare professional know HOW you'll be using your glasses, even the best optician may not guess right about what lens, frame, etc is best for you.

When my dd mentioned she'd had a client who needed his progressives made upside down (near on top, far on the bottom) I was perplexed, but then realized I DID know why that would be necessary--I'd just been doing some painting and it was a real challenge in my progressives, to do the close work over my head. Sure enough, her client was someone in the painting industry. So as I say, if your optician knows about anything out of the ordinary that might affect your choice, they can better help you choose the right pair of glasses.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for offering such wonderful advice. I'm still wearing 'readers' but I know proscription glasses are right around the corner. I'm going to print and save this thread since the comments here are so informative.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I wear tri focals unlined and I love them. I only wear them when I go out as around the house I wear my distance glasses. I decided to get sunglasses instead of clear as I'm light sensitive. This is the way I get around the high cost. I buy a good pair of sunglasses at Marshalls and then take them to my eye dr. and have him send them out for lenses. If you decide to go bi or tri, you can't get a frame that has a bend. I paid 20.00 for my frames and 125.00 for the lenses put in so I feel I save a great deal that way. Most eye doctors will let you use your own frames. It took me two weeks to get used to them and now I feel like I have regular vision while wearing them, love it!!!

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, thanks everyone! I too am going to print this out and spend time studying the answers. I want to be a prepared consumer this time. . .

• vannie
    13 years ago

My eye doc told me to go to $ Tree and buy bifocals in 2.75 strength. They're $1. a pair and I have them all over the house, plus in both vehicles. If you sit on them, throw them away. I went that glasses hunting too, and then I did what he said. $1. Easy-peezy.

• kacram
    13 years ago

Im nearsighted. If I want to do detail or upclose work,
    I just take my glasses off! no need for readers or
    the bifocals, as I see NEAR very well indeed! lol

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

I use line-bifocals. These were recommended to me over progressive lenses by several optomists. The line-bifocals provide a larger area of corrorrection for close work and distortions are minimized.

For computer gazing, it is a pain in the ah... neck to hold one's head back to bring the reading part into play. I purchased an ordinary set of reading glasses, diopter 2.0 for me, to use at the computer desk. These have been a neck saver! I have some astigmatism, different in each eye, therefore plain reading glasses are not the cure all for small print and clsoe work, but for sitting back with my eyes 18 to 24 inches from the screen, the readers are just fine for 95% of my computer screen viewing. When I need to, I temporarily switch back to the prescription pair.

Over the past 20 years, I have bought glasses from 3 different commercial suppliers. I soon stopped buying from Pearle Vision because as they changed their business model, the service got worse and slower. The last straw was when I watched counter person wreck my frames by forcing the lens in place without loosening the screws. When I objected, she said, "I do this all the time. Its ok." The next day, I found that the screws had stripped from excessive load.

I began using Stein Optical becasue they offered 1 hr or a bit more service at certain stores. Over the years, the turn around time became a week or more, yet they were still advertising 1 hr service. I suppose they can do quick service for the most simple of lenses, but must make custon lenes for astigmatism and/or bifocals. Their counter personnel has declined over the years, that is, at the store I went to.

For the last two prescriptions, I used Wal Mart of all places! Their service was equal to any of the local stores except for the high end fancy houses. The cost was lower and they were more willing to work with the customer. For example, my present frames were in fairly good shape so they ofered to cut lenses to fit my existing frames rather than to push a new set of frames on me. My frames were scanned, the lens made, and the lens fit was good. They also had Stetson frames in stock, my favorite. I've been wearing Stetsons for the past 6 years. Other stores in town change their frames periodically and then tells the customer he has to buy new frames, too.

My Mechanic had a special pair made for him. His glasses have the bifocal part in the upper part of the lense! Why? It is for using while peering under a car while it is up on the rack. In that situation, conventional bifocals are impossible. These are called, mechanic's glasses, and are used by mechanics, wall paper hangers, and interior painters. Although, when I spoke with a professional painter, he said that he buys regular reading glasses for $20 or less, and when these get scratched or paint splattered, he tosses them and breaks out another pair. He buys plastic lenses for safety reasons.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone have experience with VisionWorld? They seem to have great sales: for example 2 for 1 bifocals for $159. (I'm sure there are catches to this, however. . .). The other choices around here seem to be Lenscrafters and Pearl vision.