SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_fla

recipe from the cookbook junkie-yum-try it!

lisa_fla
15 years ago

The kids and I loved it! Like Paula, I never bothered to defrost the ravioli and it was fine! DH isn't home yet, so he hasn't tried it. Pasted from her blog-

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2008

A definite keeper

--Ravioli Lasagna

Ravioli Lasagna

The Red Hat Society Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 pound ground beef, divided

1 (28-ounce jar) spaghetti sauce, divided I used a 26.5 ounce jar

1 (25-ounce) bag sausage or cheese ravioli, thawed and divided I used 2 13-ounce bags of mini cheese ravioli, frozen

1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese I used a little bit more and I used 2% mozzarella

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground beef over medium heat. In a 2 1/2 quart greased dish, layer 1/3 the spaghetti sauce, 1/2 the ravioli, 1/2 the ground beef and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat, topping with the rest of the spaghetti sauce and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes.

Serves 6-8.

On my birthday post, a commenter, Jennifer, left me a recipe for Beefy Baked Ravioli. It sounded so good but I was leery about putting the ravioli in frozen. Then I remembered seeing a recipe that used ravioli in this Red Hat Ladies Cookbook so I decided to see if that was something I could make with ravioli instead. When I looked, it was basically the same recipe (slightly simpler) but it used thawed ravioli which I was a bit more comfortable with (which makes no sense really) so I decided to make that one. However, I ended up using the ravioli frozen after all and it turned out great.

Did you follow all of that???

This was so much simpler than making a 'real' lasagna yet the same flavors were there. Everything I needed was on sale too. The ravioli were $1/bag, the sauce was $1/jar, the cheese was $2.50 and the meat was $1.99/pound. Not the least expensive meal but not bad for the amount it makes and especially for the simplicity. When you consider that my grocery store sometimes sells prepared unbaked lasagnas for almost $20, this was a steal.

I will definitely make this again, even though it wasn't my son's thing. He doesn't like any other kind of lasagna either but it's his loss. My husband and I scarfed it down.

Thanks, Jennifer! I can see why you felt the urge to pass this recipe along.

Comments (7)