SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I'm back with another Medicare question.

alisande
15 years ago

Earlier this year I asked for advice on Medicare supplements. I ended up choosing Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which has been costing me $163 per month, and a Blue Cross prescription plan, which is about $27 per month. I had a larger than usual number of visits to the doctor, mostly because of the thorn that was embedded in my hand, plus some digestive problems, and it was nice not to have to pay anything for these services.

In 2009 the premium for the supplement will be raised to $172, and my prescription plan (which I haven't used yet) rate will almost double.

Blue Cross has been bombarding me with promotional information about their FreedomBlue, a Medicare Advantage plan. The monthly premium of their Deluxe plan is $106, which includes a prescription drug plan. If I continue with my present coverage, the total premium (not counting the fee for Medicare Parts A and B) would be around $220.

I presently pay no co-pays for office visits or ER care. FreedomBlue would charge a $15 co-pay for office visits, and $50 for the ER. They cover 100% of hospital stays and outpatient surgery. It's not clear to me who pays for medical tests; perhaps Medicare covers those.

Anyway, I seem to remember reading that Medicare Advantage Plans aren't the best deal for the consumer. This could explain why Blue Cross is pushing theirs--it's a better deal for them. But on paper, at least, it looks pretty attractive. Certainly it would be very nice to save $100 a month in premiums.

Does anyone have one of these plans? What's your opinion of this one, or Advantage plans in general?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (12)