SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Adopting an older pet

Jasdip
10 years ago

Steve's thread got me thinking of older pets.

Smudge is our 13 year old Maine Coon. We got him from the Humane Society when he was 5. He's the most wonderful cat....timid but very affectionate.

Another cat from years ago was a cat that was advertised in the paper. He was 2. (I know not an older cat, but a great story).
We got him and it wasn't long before we noticed him sneezing, when he would drink water. We attributed it to water getting up his nose. Since this would happen every time, we took him to the vet.

After a thorough checkup, the doctor saw that he had a cleft palate, and we could see it....a hairline crack from the front of the roof of his mouth to the rear. Every time he drank, water would get in the crack and into his lungs. The quote was $800.
My hubby at the time dug in his heels about spending that kind of money for a cat that we had for a week. I was adamant so we did it. Biddy was the most wonderful cat and my ex-hubby loved him to death, and Biddy lived for 13 years.

I spoke to the previous owner's vet (they had given us his name), and I told the vet what was wrong with the cat, and that we had got his mouth fixed. The vet was so thankful, and said that he had finally found the right home. Turns out we were the 3rd owners in the 2 years that we got him.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio