SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Has anyone here ever adopted an older child?

ccoombs1
15 years ago

I am no where ready to make a decision yet, but DH and I have talked about it off and on for several years. I have two kids that are grown and moved out (but still live on our acerage with their spouses). I am nearly 51 and DH is disabled (chronic severe back pain for which he takes a lot of prescription narcotics on a daily basis). We were foster parents to young kids many years ago. But lately we have been talking about opening our home to an older teen....like one who is 15 or older. Are we nuts? Are we inviting trouble? There are just so many kids who have been in the system for years and they just want a family to call their own. I was browsing through our state's "available children" web site yesterday and saw a 15 year old boy who caught my attention. He's bi-racial, loves gardening and landscaping (a kid after my own heart), seems a little nerd-ish, loves animals, and wants a family. We have space in our house and in our hearts, but would be be complicating life too much? I think this is something I would like to do, but I am just so unsure. Once it's done, it's not a decision we can change. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for me?

Cindy

Comments (12)