SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I just paid $10 to be free of the Internet.

alisande
12 years ago

I'm a writer who has accomplished very little writing this year. I've had some valid excuses, but things have calmed down and I'm ready to schedule writing time again, like I used to. But I know one thing that will constantly threaten to interrupt......the Internet. I've been addicted since the mid 1980s, so I'm quite familiar with this phenomenon. I'll stop in the middle of writing a sentence and decide to check my email, or see what's going on at the KT, or check out the latest on Facebook, etc. If I want to look up something connected with my writing, that can blossom into a long stretch of losing focus and looking at lots of other stuff.

So.....I read an essay in Poets & Writers magazine this week about scheduling writing time, and it mentioned a tool the author swears by: Freedom, a program that cuts you off the Internet for however long you specify. She wants to write for three hours every morning, so she tells Freedom to lock her out of going online for 180 minutes.

This definitely appealed to me, and I downloaded the program for ten bucks. I have another computer upstairs, but I hope since I've invested some money in this, I won't disgrace myself by running upstairs to use it. (That's what the author of the essay did, but it happened only once.)

If anyone else is interested, you can find the download at macfreedom.com. Oh, and it's not just for Macs. I downloaded the Windows version.

Comments (10)