SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilliepad_gw

About those bath bomb cupcakes

lilliepad
16 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Debby's post but thought some of you might be interested in the recipe I have used to make these as well as other bath bombs.It may or may not be the same as Debby's recipe.

To make the bombs mix:

4 oz.citric acid

8 oz.baking soda

1 oz.SLS (An additive that produces a bubbly lather foam in your product and leaves a soft feeling on you skin.Can be ordered from any soap making outlet online.Sometimes even on E-bay.)

1/4 oz.fragrance

4 or 5 drops of colorant

Be sure the fragrance and colorant are safe to use on the skin.

You can also add 1 tsp.-1 Tbsp.Bentonite clay(also available online) to the mixture for a harder bomb if desired.

You will also need a spray bottle filled with Witch hazel,available at Wal-art or any pharmacy.

Mix Citric Acid and Baking Soda so there are no clumps. Add the SLS (and Bentonite Clay if desired). Mix in the fragrance and color.Spritz on witch hazel until mixture easily sticks together.Consistency should resemble dry pie dough.Press firmly into cupcake paper lined muffin tins.The new silicone pans work well if you don't want to use the paper liners,and make the cupcakes easier to remove.If liners are used they are just peeled off before putting the cupcake into the tub.

For the frosting:

3 Tablespoons Meringue Powder/Powdered Egg Whites (more can be used if a stiffer frosting is desired).

1 lb. (By weight) Powdered Sugar

5 Tablespoons warm water

1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar

A few drops of color and fragrance if desired.

Mix Meringue into warm water.Add cream of tartar and Powdered sugar and fragrance and color if desired.Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 4 to 7 minutes until stiff peaks form.Mixture will harden in about an hour so work fast! Let the bombs dry overnight.The frosting will become rock hard but will dissolve in the warm bath water.

These are really fairly easy to make but as Debby said the frosting takes time.I never did mine as fancy as the ones on Debby's site,just frosted them like a regular cupcake.

Comments (4)