SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Wanna see some pics of my little house? (many pics)

rosemaryt
15 years ago

The guys who built it for me call it, "The Little Mansion." My friend calls it, "Barbie's Dream Tool Shed."

The trouble started when I wanted a garden shed to store our lawn mower. We have a nice house but NO outbuildings - at all! The mower is currently stored in the back yard, chained and padlocked to the city's trashcan. We have a wheelbarrow thrown over the mower's motor to keep it dry. Real high class looking affair. NOT.

So, I went to the big box hardware stores and I didn't like the look of those prefab sheds. I talked to a local carpenter who is quite the craftsman and told him what I wanted: A little house that is a good match to the big house. :) This guy is a dying breed and one of the last true artisans.

He's also a patient soul and listened carefully and studied my primitive drawings. Here's what he built for me. And yes, that is a slate roof, just like the big house. :) I've wanted to build a little house like this my whole life. I'm so thrilled to finally have this dream come true!

There is nothing plastic or vinyl on this house. It's all wood and natural materials. There are many layers of crown molding and trim and it is all a perfect match to the trim on our 1925-built Colonial Revival home.

The windows and doors are from architectural salvage. This first photo shows the detail of how the eaves and soffit match on the little house and the big house.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022