SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

OT: wanna see my MBR cabinets? (Many pics)

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Ok. If you don't, just change the channel. If you do....

Here's my start:
I have 17' of useless wall in my MBR. I decided I wanted to build a Tansu, or a Japanese style stepped cabinet. I love the look. Now, had I know inset was my Ah AHHHHHHH cabinetry, this would have been completely different. Instead, I have my default, next favorite of Shaker and Cottage. This construction is V shaped, low in the center climbing to the ceiling on either end. The geometric shapes of the doors and drawers have a little, subtle visual interest in that some of the doors are flat paneled, but some are cottage. All are 18" deep.

I ordered 9 cabinets from Norcroft (I had some $$ at the time). Due to their many mistakes, I ended up with 27 of them. DirectBuy just gave me the mistakes because they'd have to throw them away. Some of these ended up in the kitchen and MB, pics of which will come someday. YEAH!

So..
I had ordered 3, 3-drawer cabinets. I got 3, 4-drawer. These became the middle:

I cut one of the 3-drawer cabs up and put the big drawer on top of the extra 4-drawers, which became my end cabinets.

Here we have the middle, looking towards the right. Note the middle drawers, next to it a 12" wall cabinet, a spice drawer (The Cabinet Joint.com) then an 18" full-height base and my constructed drawer cabinet.

Months (and years) have passed while I built, found, bought, and had donated to me the remaining cabinets. Here is the left side now with doors. We're talking Norcroft, Barker, The Cabinet Joint, Community Forklift, side-of-the-road, etc.:

From the picture above, panning to the right, here are the middle cabinets. The ones without doors/drawers are going to have tambour doors on them ([Rockler] different texture design) which will hold my DTV receiver, etc. The center, long drawer was a refrigerator cabinet I cut down and retrofitted with a drawer (Barker) rather than stupid doors.

Then we move further along to the right where you can see I'm working on the drawer fronts for the spice thing. Those spice things are totally worthless to me, but I liked the lines of them in all this. I also used them in my kitchen where they also serve no function whatsoever. Just different to the eye.

On both ends you can see where I've not put the top, 24x12 cabinet doors on. I have them, (Barker) but I need to put the Cottage veneer (Norcroft) on them so they have the cottage texture.

When I have all the doors on, I'll try to photo them. All this is unfinished maple. I haven't figured out any paint colors for my house yet, nor what I want for this woodwork. The thing is, it's paint grade, so it wouldn't be all that pretty staining it. OTOH, I like beat up, distressed and antiqued things, so that might be a place to start. I can always paint later, right?

I've had stuff crammed in the cabinets without doors for so long, I am in LOVE with the smoothness of the doors on them. I hope you like it. It's a long, in-progress piece. Well, if you don't, that's OK, too. I'm excited with it because I have no closets. A huge step in eliminating visual clutter! :)

Comments (15)