SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Went to Wills Eye Hospital last night (long)

softball_80
15 years ago

My wife had a problem with her right eye. Lately she had seen an increase in the number of 'floaters' in her vision. Her opthamologist was out of town but we were able to contact him via cell phone. He suggested we go to the ER of Wills Eye Hospital at Jefferson University in Philadelphia. This hospital has a reputation of being the gold standard in eye care in the area.

The time stamp on my parking lot ticket was 6:04 pm on Thursday 10/16/2008. When I started the car to leave, the clock read 2:50 am on 10/17!!! That's right - over 8 AND A HALF HOURS total! Seems there was only one doctor on duty for much of that time. We did not see her until after 11 pm; she did an examination and put drops in my wife's eyes to dilate them. She said it would be a half hour before the exam could continue. At that time an emergency case came in and the doctor explained that she had to treat him first or he could lose the use of his eye. I DO NOT have a problem with this! What I do have a problem with is the fact that there were too many patients that needed treatment for one doctor to handle. The doctor was extremely professional and thorough when she did treat my wife, so I have no issue with her, only with the hospital executives that did not provide more than one opthamologist in the ER that night to handle the amount of 'business'. There was another man with some sort of splinter in his eye who was waiting almost as long as we did. There were still other people in the waiting room when we left.

There is a large sign listing patients rights on the wall. You have a right to be informed, not be restrained, treated with respect, etc. etc. and 'receive emergency treatment promptly'.

Does 8 1/2 hours sound prompt to you?

Comments (4)