SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Bad people - and a WARNING! (long story)

rosemaryt
13 years ago

At midnight on June 13, 2009, my cell phone rang. When the phone rings at midnight, you take a deep breath and say a quick prayer and answer it with your heart in your throat.

My friend - my 85-year-old friend - had just suffered a home invasion and sexual assault.

Prior to this, she had lived alone for years and her health had deteriorated. She was on a walker and could barely move. I visited her once a week and ate lunch with her. She loved those visits, and I did, too.

Thanks to the kindnesses of friends and neighbors, she remained in her own home, housebound, but still, making it alone in her own home. One's lifelong home can be the sweetest spot on earth.

And then June 13th happened. The attacker had been watching her and knew she was elderly and alone. During the fracas, he picked her up and threw her to the ground, breaking her hip. After the assault ended, he tried to rob her and demanded money. Finally, he left, leaving her bloodied and bruised but - thank God - she was alive.

When the phone call came, I jumped in my car and drove to her house. I met another friend there. We sat with her on the couch, pleading with her to call the police. She refused. Finally, she reluctantly agreed.

I spent a couple nights with her at the hospital. Nights were tough for her. Every time the silhouetted form of a janitor walked by the door, she'd grab me and scream, "That's the man who attacked me. He's in the hallway. Get the police. That's him."

Four weeks later and two surgeries later, she left the hospital and went into a nursing home. Several months after that, she moved in with a family member who built a "Mom-in-law suite" on the back of the house, just for her.

Last month, we went to the trial. The "man" who attacked her was a young, inner-city, no-account criminal. He was in his early 20s. He smirked during the testimony. He was accused of doing this to three other women, but the police suspect he was involved in many more. (Many elderly women refuse to submit to hospital exams and many refuse to testify or even call the police.)

Two days after the trial ended (and he was found guilty), I was still raw inside. The trial was wrenching and his "modus operandi" was the same with all the women.

Later, I was talking to another elderly friend (a man), and I told him, "Promise me if someone pounds on your door at midnight and says he's hurt and needs help, you won't let him in."

My friend said, "Yes, I'd let him in. I don't believe that most people are that evil, and more to the point, I can't see someone hurting and not respond."

I talked with him for a time and told him, "You can help without letting him in. You can be a good Samaritan without risking your life. Ask him the location of the trouble and tell him you'll call 911 for him."

After a long conversation, my friend agreed to do this.

Which brings me to my point: The criminal who hurt my 85-year-old woman friend got into the house by banging on the door at 11:00 pm and saying, "I'm hurt and I need help. I'm begging, please help me. I'm bleeding."

The second she turned the deadbolt, he burst through the door.

When someone bangs on your door, do not let them in. Think about this now, and figure out what you're going to do before it happens. An aside: These attacks all happened in very nice neighborhoods.

A PS to this long story: We heard the testimony of other elderly women who'd been attacked. Like my friend, this attack ended their ability to live alone in their home. They all ended up in assisted living, and two of them ended up (like my friend) with more severe physical and mental medical needs after the attack.

A hidden cost of crime.

In conclusion, after dark, don't open the door to anyone you don't know. Call 911 and let them sort it out.

Rose

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH