SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

When input costs rise, prices rise ... when input costs slide ..

joyfulguy
15 years ago

... price-setters attitude seem to be, 'This is a 'stick-up'!'.

I was just reading a story about the way that it seems that, following the recent drastic rise in petroleum prices, and subsequent rise in a number of products that depend on it, and following the reduction in oil price, how there seemed to be a distinct tendency for the prices of those dependent products to slip back down only slowly ... and reluctantly.

I thought that some of you might be interested.

They call them, 'sticky prices' ... and I thought that we should just call them, in consumer circles, a 'stick-up'.

Maybe we should send a barrage of messages to the perpetrators telling them of our displeasure.

Or, more effectively, telling them that we're disgusted with their heedless greed ... and we are not only going to refuse to buy their product for a while (until their prices come down), but are emailing our friends to invite them to do the same ... with the request that they forward the message to quite a few of their friends, as well. Computers and the email system has given us a great deal more power - let's use it for our benefit.

We'd need to form a network and hit one supplier or store all at nearly the same time, to increase effectiveness. Half a dozen messages get lost in the shuffle: a couple or hundred attract attention ... and a thousand rattles their chain.

Some other related topics (on Yahoo):

Planning ahead to save money while grocery shopping;

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fitness/articles/family-health/cp/home_family-make_the_most_of_grocery_shopping_by_using_menu_plan_learning_store_layout

Shave hundreds off of your annual grocery bill;

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-entertaining/articles/shopping-cart/rogers-chatelaine/food-eat_more_pay_less

I've found that I can buy a fairly large quantity of some herbs and spices in bulk for the price or less of a small dispenser filled with it. Then, in order to avoid having it get stale, I make half a dozen small packs to share with neighbours, church folks at coffee hour (where I take garden produce, asking them to add a small fee to the offering envelope), etc. Sometimes I ask for a fee, sometimes not ... but if not, usually something comes back in return, later.

Have a lovely fall weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving money while grocery shopping

Comment

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living