SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindie_mi

Any plans re rising cost of groceries?

lindie_mi
13 years ago

I am just wondering about this and hoping to read your thoughts and/or plans concerning the rising costs. I don't mean to be paranoid but it seems that once prices go up, whatever the reason, they seldom come back down.

Is it making any difference in how you shop? We are buying extra canned goods and rotating them, which I don't see as a magic solution but an attempt to plan ahead. Any thoughts as to how these costs do (or don't) concern you?

Comments (50)

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Im not being so big on cooking I make more soups homemade etc rather than steaks etc,Hubby has an elk in freezer he loves elk.
    I made clam chowder,great recipe and the best maryland crab soup I think I ever had.last week

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

I am shocked at the amount of money spend here at Braums. Braums used to be "just ice cream, milk, and hamburgers", but now sells everything including matches, TP, meat, frozen dinners, produce, you name it.

All is quite a bit more than a regular grocery store.

But out the door it goes... in large quantities. People as a whole, don't seem to worry about the cost.

Moni, who only buys what is really needed

• Related Discussions

If the grocery stores no longer had ANY bags .....

Q

Comments (29)
    Here in Montreal, over the last year, there has been a seachange from disposable to reusable bags in grocery stores. One store started providing high quality cloth (or plastic-impregnated strong paper) reusable bags for a dollar. The bags were so gosh-darned useful that people started buying them and using them not just for groceries, but for carrying stuff all over the place, advertising the name of the store as they went. The other stores quickly got involved, and started competing to make more and more attractive ones, so it was their bag that was being carried, not the competition. The plastic bags are still available for people that want them, but carrying one makes you a pariah on the street. This time last year, you would see hundreds of those bags stuck in trees and streetlights, breaking down in alleys and filling trash cans. Not any more - the combination of real utility (the bags are actually very good - I use them to carry things to work, for luggage, in the garden, lugging tools in my workshop, and for storage when homebrewing), low cost (the bags are printed with the store's name, so it's free advertising) and social stigma seems to have corrected this problem in a very big way. One unexpected problem that has arisen is that I used to use those plastic bags as trash bags. Now, I find myself buying real plastic trash bags, which is a habit I have to break.
    ...See More

When input costs rise, prices rise ... when input costs slide ..

Q

Comments (0)
    ... price-setters attitude seem to be, 'This is a 'stick-up'!'. I was just reading a story about the way that it seems that, following the recent drastic rise in petroleum prices, and subsequent rise in a number of products that depend on it, and following the reduction in oil price, how there seemed to be a distinct tendency for the prices of those dependent products to slip back down only slowly ... and reluctantly. I thought that some of you might be interested. They call them, 'sticky prices' ... and I thought that we should just call them, in consumer circles, a 'stick-up'. Maybe we should send a barrage of messages to the perpetrators telling them of our displeasure. Or, more effectively, telling them that we're disgusted with their heedless greed ... and we are not only going to refuse to buy their product for a while (until their prices come down), but are emailing our friends to invite them to do the same ... with the request that they forward the message to quite a few of their friends, as well. Computers and the email system has given us a great deal more power - let's use it for our benefit. We'd need to form a network and hit one supplier or store all at nearly the same time, to increase effectiveness. Half a dozen messages get lost in the shuffle: a couple or hundred attract attention ... and a thousand rattles their chain. Some other related topics (on Yahoo): Planning ahead to save money while grocery shopping; http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fitness/articles/family-health/cp/home_family-make_the_most_of_grocery_shopping_by_using_menu_plan_learning_store_layout Shave hundreds off of your annual grocery bill; http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-entertaining/articles/shopping-cart/rogers-chatelaine/food-eat_more_pay_less I've found that I can buy a fairly large quantity of some herbs and spices in bulk for the price or less of a small dispenser filled with it. Then, in order to avoid having it get stale, I make half a dozen small packs to share with neighbours, church folks at coffee hour (where I take garden produce, asking them to add a small fee to the offering envelope), etc. Sometimes I ask for a fee, sometimes not ... but if not, usually something comes back in return, later. Have a lovely fall weekend, everyone. ole joyful Here is a link that might be useful: Saving money while grocery shopping
    ...See More

Have YOU found any bargains/deals? Clothes? Groceries?

Q

Comments (25)
    I went to Payless Shoes last week and found a pair of black clogs on sale for $27.00 regular $54.99. When I went to pay, I asked the cashier if they still took AMA for an additional 10% off. She said no, as the shoes were only $10.00. She told me that any shoes with a red tag were $10.00. I told her to hang on a minute and went back and found a pair of sandals, then grabbed a pair of earrings and a necklace. Total price for everything was $27.01. Then I went to the Goodwill store and found a brand new winter jacket (still had the tag on from the original store) for $7.00, but it had a green tag and it was green tag day so the jacket ended up costing me $3.50. Next, stopped at Penningtons because I needed a belt. Found one I liked for $24.99 and went to pay, cashier said that will be $1.04. What??? She said it rang up at $0.99. So, all in all a good shopping day for me.
    ...See More

Food Costs Rise & 20% of Americans are Hungry

Q

Comments (35)
    The price of eggs has gone up at my local Kroger. The price of cucumbers was up last week, but produce prices vary each week. I forgot tomatoes during my one weekly grocery trip, so while I was dropping off my father's groceries I stopped at a smaller grocery which usually has higher prices, rather than go back to the larger store. Since I forgot tomatoes, I don't know how that price compared, but I did notice cucumbers were a few cents less at the smaller store Most of what I buy is still the same price, and although I always check the ads online and try to stick with my list, I spend more since I usually shop only one store. I have found that Kroger is no longer including the 5x digital coupons in their ads (at least for the last month), and some items that are frequently on sale don't seem to be as often. Incidentally, I have been using only my credit card to shop, thinking that it protects me and the check-out people if neither needs to handle money. Last week I had the misfortune of being in the line of a check-out lady who kept coughing into her sleeve and fidgeting with her mask while scanning my groceries. (Under her nose so she could breathe, over her nose so she could cough.) Then she handed me a paper coupon sponsored by General Mills. I instinctively reached to take it with the cash register receipt, but why couldn't the coupon have gone on my account, to be redeemed electronically? That would have been one less chance for an employee to be exposed to the virus.
    ...See More
  • ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I doubt my shopping will change all that much because I pretty much buy whatever I want but....I also am a good shopper. I shop carefully and buy and stock up when something is on sale and my best deal ever is since I have learned how to properly use coupons, I really an saving lots. I don't like to shop and I use everything I buy.....I don't believe in throwing stuff away.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

No changes...I imagine the rising prices are on prepared box, frozen and canned foods. I rarely buy them.
    Prices on fresh meat, fish and produce have had little or no changes.

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

I am, and have always been, a smart shopper. I buy most groceries from Walmart, because their prices are significantly lower. However, I watch for sales at the two local grocery chains, and stock up on sales items. We have a large pantry in each of our two kitchens; large freezing compartments in both refrigerators; and a large freezer. That allows us to buy in bulk, which saves a good deal of money--plus it reduces trips to the store, which saves gas. It's a good idea to use coupons, but I seldom do.

I like to cook, so we eat at home all the time--that saves a huge amount of money. I feel sorry for young couples with children; their grocery bills must be exorbitant. I know the rising costs are, in large part, attributable to the higher gas prices (which IMO are unnecessary, given that we have sufficient oil to supply our needs, if drilling were allowed). There should also be ample food supplies to feed our people; if necessary, we should stop exporting food (and money) until we take care of our own people.

...climbing down off my soapbox now...

• alisande
    13 years ago

I've always been a good shopper, too. Most of my purchases are made around the perimeter of the store; I avoid most processed foods. The rise in prices has been dramatic, but some of my staples have held. I'm still getting romaine and red leaf lettuce for $1.88 at Walmart, and boneless chicken breasts for $1.59/lb. at a local butcher.

One price that really shocked me was disposable diapers. Of course, I haven't bought them in many years, so I was unprepared for the prices I've been seeing at the supermarkets. I had thought I might buy some here and there on sale, to give to my son and DIL when their baby is born, but I think I'd do better buying them on Amazon.

The rising cost of gasoline has made me even more frugal about where and when I drive.

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

It won't change what we eat, but we are always looking for good deals and savings. I think the surest way to cut food costs is to first eliminate waste. TG is not one for left overs, luckily I am, so many of my lunches are leftovers from the previous day or two.
    Most meals are from scratch (even if they served some time in the freezer between cooking and consumption.), but we do buy some prepared foods, like spaghetti sauce.
    We garden and I have my suspicions on the pay-off for some crops, but one that really pays off is lettuce. We can only grow it in the Fall and winter here, but we have a big salad as dinner once a week and it sure is nice to go out to the yard and get lovely organic greens.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I agree with the garden issue. It's strictly a fun hobby for me with the benefits of being able to eat the results but if I were to put a value on the produce it would be scary. My tomatoes would probably cost $40 a pound.......but as I said, it's a hobby and I don't spend money foolishly ...Don't go to the movies, ever ...don't buy many clothes, the occasional T and jeans....etc etc etc so I feel like if I want to spend on my garden it's not a biggie and I do get plenty of produce and manage to freeze and can a lot of stuff.

• patti43
    13 years ago

So far I haven't changed, but I'm surprised I'm the only one who's noticed a huge increase in fresh produce prices. I stopped buying it at our Walmart because it doesn't stay fresh very long and I got tired of throwing stuff away. That said, when we lived in the country about the only store we had was Walmart and their produce was much fresher.

I sure wish I could find some ripe, red, juicy tomatoes. Our crops didn't fare so well this winter in Florida.

I do try to shop the BOGO's (buy one, get one) but only for things we use. I use coupons, too. Especially for things like TP, Tide, etc.

I'm not against canned or frozen foods at all. I always use canned tomatoes/sauce. Love Publix green beans and keep canned fruit on hand always. The "dreaded" canned soups are in my pantry, too.

• chisue
    13 years ago

It sure seems odd that FOOD isn't included in the core Consumer Price Index. (Supposedly that is because food -- and gasoline, also not included -- are so variable.)

Food costs are up. Part of the reason is that the other ignored item, gasoline, is up. WHY is gasoline so high? Because oil is high. WHY is oil high? Because Tom, Dick and Harry are *speculating* on it, same as stocks... and commodities (food). That's how our free economy works (without scary 'government interference').

Wanda -- The 'undrilled' oil reserves in the US are a spit in the ocean of the amount we use. Most of our oil comes from Canada, not overseas. (I bet Old Joyful can fill us in on that!)

• cynic
    13 years ago

I'm not changing and my costs aren't up that much. I have limits on what I'll spend for certain items. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc (a lot of produce) is up about 50% in the past year around here. So I'm more careful on what and when I buy. I shop more at Aldi for certain things. Their produce is good and much cheaper.

Actually the convenience foods are less impacted to the consumer because of competition. So they hold the line on those prices. It's the ones who think they're getting so much better with the so-called "fresh" produce and the like that are paying through the nose.

Some meat prices are up a lot. I'm careful on what I buy. I don't like buying bone and grizzle when prices are high since you double up the price increase that way.

Around here there are seldom "loss leaders" anymore at the stores. They don't have to do it. They have people so convinced that "sale" is a good thing that they don't have to drop the prices.

I learned a long time ago that buy one get one sales are seldom a good deal. I still look at the unit price and know the prices I'll pay for things. The "BOGO" sales usually start with the items at about double the price. I got sucked in on that a couple times when I first started on my own and quickly did the math and never again. Seldom do they "give" you something for nothing. But people bite on that like Tyson on Holyfield's ear.

I seldom do the "what should we have for dinner" then drive to the store and pick up the ingredients. I keep a pantry and can eat out of that. I realize prices go up. How can they not? Everyone expects a raise and it's a vicious circle.

And I occasionally eat out. Actually it can be cheaper. Yes their prices go up too but there's no waste, no prep costs and no cleanup costs either. It's not going to work for everyone, just like no menu plan is going to work for everyone either.

I'm really not too worried over it. Prices go up and down. Overall they increase of course. How can they not? It's part of life and another thing that's not worth stressing over. There's a lot of other simple ways to economize that I look at the big budget picture. Make more than you spend and you're OK.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

Honestly, my grocery bill hasn't gone up noticeably at all. I'm able to spend the same amount as I normally do. But I don't buy a lot of meat, so maybe that's why.

I use coupons when I have them, and I buy generic brands whenever possible. Haven't purchased name brands in a few years.

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

OK, this is a nit. (Nit Warning! Nit Warning!) The consumer Price Index has come up before on this forum and this is the second time someone has said that it does not include food, but every time I check, it does include food.
    Here's where I looked it up:

Here is a link that might be useful: CPI FAQs

• roco0101
    13 years ago

I agree with most everyone's posts. I'm a good shopper, have a full pantry and freezer and cook most dinners homemade. No garden, I got the cost savings on that little number years ago.

Ya gotta eat so, I guess if my grocery bill gets so high that that's all I can spend my money on, I won't be shopping at Walmart (their meat and produce suck), Kmart, McDonalds, the local craft store and Mom and Pop's whatEVER store. Jobs?

Our economy is so "stupid driven".

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Like oldgardener, I don't notice an appreciable rise. I don't buy a lot of red meat either - mainly ground beef for chili, sloppy Joes, hotdishes which all translates out to more than one meal. Ham is often a good deal here. I paid $7 and change for a good sized hunk of brand name spiral cut. Ham never goes to waste... ham sandwiches, pan heated slice with a baked potato and vegetable, ham & eggs, diced ham in a tossed salad, tag ends in yellow split pea soup, etc.

Fresh fruit is all over the map, but I'm a universal fruit lover and something is always a special or "surprise" unannounced buy - you never know, it could be pears, plums, grapes, berries, whole pineapples.

I use Sunday supplement local chain coupons for any item I'd normally buy. The national brand coupons seem to be centered on Pillsbury baked goods, assorted desserts, snacks, sauced veggies, brands of laundry stuff and personal products I don't buy.

Not having to live on the edge where every cent counts is a blessing indeed. Not having anything go to waste is my biggest savings - though I might not see it translated into dollars and cents immediately on the register tape.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I didn't say the CPI doesn't include food. I said I haven't noticed a difference in my own grocery bill.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

oh I have seen a big rise in what I pay each time I go grocery shopping, It seems I can not go into the store with out paying $300 to get out. That is way more than I used to pay. I buy generally every other weekend with supplement trips if I find we must have something. I am cutting back on how much I fix for dinner, if we have leftovers they never seem to be eaten so I am trying to avoid having any by reducing the amount cooked (that is hard for this Cajun!)
    In the summer when the farm markets open I buy pretty much all of my produce there fresh from the farm and pay less plus it is so much better. This year I have a small garden to supplement that. We eat a lot of salads in the summer when we have good fresh veggies to add in.
    When they put the hams on sale after a holiday for 99c or less lb I buy what ever they have as the limit, usually 2 and put them in my freezer, we can use a ham in so many ways it is a great buy. I also found at HEB they have vac pac's of end's and pieces of spiral sliced ham and at times roast beef or some other deli type meat, for extremely cheap
    they may not look the best but they taste darn good for the price! I stock up on those when they have them. They had the black forest ham one day and I bought about 4 of those and shared with one of my friends.(these are about 2-3 lb packs)
    My big problem these days is since my husband has to go with me to grocery shop now he is constantly putting things in the basket that are NOT on my list! And most of it is junk he loves candy and that stuff is just way too expensive. He does not need to be eating it either. Hard to tell him no when he is the one paying the bill LOL.

I think with the tradegy in Japan we will be feeling it in our pockets in many areas. I know the car business is feeling it.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

A couple of years ago they had boxes of about 40 some doughnut holes for $2.79, which is close to $2.80, or 4 x 70 ... then they put them up to $3.49, or really close to $3.50, or 5 x 70, which is a 25% increase.

I haven't bought them since - but have more than half a dozen empty boxes around here.

A few months ago they sold about a pound and a half of economy oatmeal cookies for $1.99, then they went to $2.49, another 25% increase - I haven't bought any since.

But I haven't told/complained/gone whining to any grocery-related critter about the problem.

I'm thinking of taping the doughnut hole boxes together, then taking them to the store to show to the manager, to ask him to check the dates - he'll find that there are none dated after the price increase.

And, as for the cookies - I haven't bought any since the price went up, and don't plan to.

I won't mention that there's a cookie factory nearby and I used to be able to buy 5 lbs. of various kinds for about five dollars (and their prices have gone up some, too).

Some years ago when a major oil price increase took place worldwide, a certain former actor gentleman in the U.S. called "Reagan" who was then involved in a different career said rather forcefully (I won't say, "blustered") that they'd cope: they'd drill more wells here at home and be less de3pendent on that %&*#@ foreign-source oil!!

And I rather laughed to myself, saying that, yeah, they'd use most all of their reserves up when prices were cheap ...

... then, later, as oil got scarcer, they'd be stuck with buying foreign-sourced oil ...

... at, necessarily, *much* higher prices!

But not to cry too hard, though - a number of the major world oil companies are U.S.-based.

Did you note at the time of the recent mess in the Caribbean, that in many of those wells they have to put their drill bits down through a mile of water, adding chunks of 50 or 100 feet of drill tube, one by one, as they go ...

... before they even hit ground to begin drilling to search for it?

Much of our Canadian oil (greater reserves than in Saudi, we're told) are in tar/oil sands.

That take a great deal of natural gas to heat up so that the oil can be separated.

They need a great deal of water, too, and many say that a major nearby river is seriously polluted (native people downstream who need to use the water have increased illness), which the government is very reluctant to admit.

The oil goes to the U.S., our (or other-country-based) oil companies get the profit, and the government gets some ...

... and we're left with the residual crap.

By the way, I read a story recently about the fallout from the wreck of the Exxon Valdez tanker rip-apart on that Alaskan reef, several years ago.

Many corporations are great at making big promises in order to get licences to operate ... but not so hot at fulfilling them, in the event of difficulty.

"Down off of that soap-box, boy!", someone may be saying?

ole joyfuelled ... who still needs gas to run the car ... but doesn't like hitch-hiking in winter

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

oldgardener, I was not referencing your post.

• chisue
    13 years ago

gardenspice -- I said the CORE CPI doesn't include food or gasoline.

I just heard on a business news report on WBBM radio that 40% of US corn now goes to biofuel. The same commodities expert said that some of the rise in prices is due to the enormous increase in demand from formerly-Third-World countries where a middle class is booming. He also stated that meat producers are reducing their herds because they believe demand in the US will drop as pricing increases.

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

chisue, I don't agree that our oil is a "spit in the ocean" of the amount we use. The US Geological Service estimates that with current technology, the US has approximately 50 billion barrels of producible oil in place; most of these assessments were made before the current horizontal drilling and fracing procedures were developed.

We have enough oil to last us for at least 25 years, without importing any! It's time to drill...it would put people to work and reduce our dependency on unfriendly nations.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I need to shop where some of you all shop because my prices are up here! I nearly fell over in the veggie department, took one look at the celery and my jaw hit the floor. We have started shopping the fresh veggie sales instead of the meat sales, we eat a lot of veggies and prefer the fresh. Since I moved my business to the house we only eat out once a week or so, before we ate out 3 or 4 nights a week.

• socks
    13 years ago

I shopped today and was really unhappy with prices. Some were ok, but not things I wanted. Seemed like everything was $2 or $3.99 or more. I usually dice up an avocado for our tacos, but not this time at $1.69 for a tiny avocado which probably wasn't even good.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Our produce prices have gone up. I used to buy cabbages for 99cents EACH, sometimes 1.25 each. They are not sold for 60 cents per lb. That is new.
    Green peppers are $2.99 lb at least. Broccoli is expensive.

Canned veggies went up, milk, coffee, flour. Everything is expensive now.

I shop specials and stock up where I can. Luckily I still have several cans of tomatoes when I was buying them for 77 cents for a 28-oz can. They are much more than that now, on sale.

I have a storage closet that I turned into a pantry. I keep my canned goods, paper products, pasta etc etc there.

I'm getting low on meat, and I'm afraid to have to stock up. Prices of meat have gone up as well. I love buying a whole pork loin roast and cutting it up into pork chops, and roasts. We eat really well off of this hunk of meat. It needs to come on sale again, I need more pork chops. :-)

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

Prices are up here too. Produce from the produce section seems to be about the same for now after last years increase, but meat is inching up and so is bread. Milk fluctuates and I might find better deals if I shopped around, but I don't always have time for that. Desserts like ice cream, cake mix and frosting, and frosting mixes have gone up and so have frozen pizza. Yogurt and cheese have gone up and so has canned soup. My favorite coffee has gone from about $8 to $12 recently. The grocery store is no longer putting it on sale. Like mentioned above, the sales and loss leaders aren't what they used to be. I'm stocking up on some of non-perisable and luxery items because I think prices are about to go up even more.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I shop at Braums quite often, but not a big amount. I like their milk, they have individual frozen packages of chili, bananas, eggs, etc.. I don't find them to high, it's fast and convenient. As a matter of fact I was surprised at how low their prices were.

• lindie_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is always fascinating to read the different takes people have on things, not meaning anyone who has posted is "right or wrong." My only point in starting this was to get an idea of the prevailing feelings of average men and women as they shop for groceries nowadays and whether or not the rising costs have made for some changes.

Prices have gone up considerably in our area, and keep going up, particularly with fresh foods such as meat and produce. I also cook from scratch and am not in the habit of buying many prepared, convenience, or even canned goods. Not being a foolish spender, until recently I bought pretty much the same items in every grocery shopping trip and did not go above my budget. Those same lists now come to considerably more than they used to, which is why I consider it time for me to make some changes and do some planning.

This isn't only about gas/oil. One person above touched on the price of beef. The news has been out for quite awhile that there will be the smallest amount this year of beef per capita since 1952 because of the greatly rising costs, which are going to rise more. My friend who works for Kellogg's, going from store to store in her area and making sure the shelves are stocked, says the price of grain is going to continue to go through the ceiling. We love salads, but as another said, produce prices take your breath away.

And yes, we can say that one must spend less than one earns. Who can argue about that? It's what we do. But suppose the time arrives that prices go so high that some families can no longer do that without making some major changes in their habits, even if they have been careful all along?

We're doing okay in this household, but we are fortunate that our kids are grown and only one still lives at home. All have jobs, all spend carefully, but what if they lose their jobs? What if they don't live in a place where they can grow a garden, can, and freeze? What happens if their pantries go empty and they need help, no matter how frugal they have been? These are the reasons I've begun, for the first time in my life, stocking up on canned goods - to be able to share and help as much as possible.

Please forgive me if I've managed to sound either holier than thou or alarmist, which has not been my intent. I just think that things may get much worse before they get better. And I'm probably not expressing myself very well.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Watch store specials, buy in larger amounts, luckily I have a large pantry closet and a chest freezer in the basement, so I have room. Buy less fast-food, try to eat all meals at home. Will buy produce at farmers markets when they open (usually around June).

• chisue
    13 years ago

*Something* is going on in my town, and I don't know how it will all fall out.

When I shop at the established, in-town store, the Jewel, I could be visiting an assisted living home. The shoppers are almost all old people -- like me. lol This was even more evident during Spring Break, when all the families in town depart on vacation. (You could fire the proverbial cannon down the main street.)

I travel a mile further to a Dominick's store and find a few more customers there, but business is decidedly not booming. (I prefer Jewel's meat and Dominick's baked goods and Italian specialties.)

Factors:

1) A new Fresh Foods store has opened next door to the Jewel, replacing an established, deliver-to-your-door grocery that failed last year after MANY years in business. Both Jewel and Fresh Foods are quite small stores with limited parking -- not that either lot is often full.

2) Costco has opened a mile from our western border. Our town considered itself too 'special' when Costco wanted to build on our western outskirts, Now the next town reaps the tax revenue -- and local stores are feeling the drain anyway!

There are no Walmarts or Aldi stores near me. There is a Target not terribly far away -- but Costco is now much closer, and Sue, who boycots Walmart 'on principle', is being drawn to Costco groceries like iron filings to a magnet.

There is yet another choice within my town, but I seldom shop there: Sunset Foods. Prices are higher and it's more out of my way. (Actually no more distant than Dominick's, so I guess it's the higher prices. lol) Sunset is 'heavy on the service'. They practically escort you through the aisles, the bagger unloads your cart onto the conveyer belt, and I think they'd prefer to carry YOU to your car, not just your groceries.

So, despite increased competition in the grocery business, this consumer isn't seeing lower pricing *on quality products* anywhere except Costco.

Scary.

• dances_in_garden
    13 years ago

Base grocery prices have gone up from 25 to 50 cents here, at least on the things we normally purchase. Produce is always more expensive this time of year, but lately the prices have been astronomical. I have had to wait and buy the 50% off produce to pay the price I would have normally for the fresh stuff!

Milk seems about the same, as do eggs. Bread products are through the roof. Canned goods are through the roof. Frozen foods are up too, but at least there are more specials on those as they turn over inventory.

I plan on pressure canning veggies and soups this year, using mostly produce from my garden, my CSA, and local sources. I have a fear though that residual radiation from what is going on in Japan will cause problems over this summer for garden produce even in North America.

I don't know that it will save tons of money, but I do know that my dollar will be better spent, the quality will be higher, it won't contain industry by-products that are snuck into food, and the BPA levels should we way low compared to commercial canned products in lined cans. I say lower because I am not sure if canning jar lids contain BPA, they certainly do look lined to me.

Dances.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

I will say 'YES'! I wanted a bag of Lay's potato chips last week - $3.99/bag - I said 'HEL NO' and bought the store brand for $1.98. I buy whatever I want or need but. those inflated gas and grocery prices are crazy!

I have always been a bargain shopper, and like Ruthie, I don't buy many clothes. I don't buy anything 'new' when it comes to clothing, except for underwear and shoes - even then, I wait until what I want goes on sale.

I have been aware of the 'law of supply and demand' for many years and was raised to not buy unless it was a good deal, UNLESS I had to have it now. If more people would quit buying something just because the think they must have it, that law would work.

If I plan a meal and don't have an item I need, I change the plan - of course, I don't have a family at home to feed, so I can do it this way.

• threejs
    13 years ago

Along with the price increases, just make sure you take note of the sizes of the cans, jars and items in the frozen foods sections. Canned juices have gone from 1 ltr to 960 ml. 2 lbs of frozen veggies are smaller than one and a half lbs now ...new packaging smaller sizing. It used to be with just brand name but everyone seems to have jumped on the wagon. Stores using their own name as brand names are just as guilty. Drug stores included. Watch that next big sale that says 2 for 5 dollars on something that was selling for $3.59. Sounds good until you look at the size they offer. Great way to introduce new packaging for the unwary shoppers. Take a look on the shelf the next time at the juices ...popular apple and orange are now in the smaller size cans and tetris packaging. They all look alike but the pineapple and some others that don't sell as fast are still sitting there in bigger cans , set off to the side a bit hoping that none will notice. Usually when they do change them they take those and put them in a mark down bin, selling them for the same price of course.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

I've always been a thrifty shopper. I use coupons when it makes sense to use them, but not just because I have them.

Here is an example of some of what I bought today.

Big Lots, only 1 item: Rotel, .50 cents per can. Bought 4 cans.

At Krogers: Kroger brand vanilla wafers 1.99. (Nabisco 2.49)
    Charmin 9 mega size, 6.99 using Kroger digital coupon (9.99)

Stouffer lasagna one serving size. Special 5/10.00. I had 2 1.00 off newspaper coupons, got two, for 1.00 each.

I have switched to Kroger milk from a brand I have used for a long time, 2.99 half gallon. Kroger I gallon 2.77.

I bought some fruit and frozen veggies and odds and ends at sale prices.

Anyway, my total savings were. 7.57

I don't buy much meat, and frozen veggies are more economical than fresh, because of spoilage.

I have shelves in my garage where I keep staples and always buy at sale prices.

Kroger is my favorite store. I won't buy meat or produce at WalMart.

I believe with getting the Senior discount at Kroger, and using coupons, which they double up to .50 cents, and buying ahead when the price is right, I can beat WalMart prices in the long run.

Sue

• janroze
    13 years ago

I don't have time to read everyone's responses, but read quite a few. None, seemed to have specifics about why to use coupons, so thought I would add my 2 cents.
    We all have known for a long time that coupons can and do save many of us money, but is it enough to make it worth while?
    I used to use coupons according to what I cooked. Then my SIL & I talked. That changed my thoughts toward the entire process. She cooks according to what coupons she can get her hands on and shops only on double your coupon days. Now, the stunner for me was learning that she actually kept track of her savings. When I discussed this with her a couple of years ago, she had saved over $6,000.00 in the one year previous. That sure made me look at coupon usage differently. It can be time consuming, but that is as much as some make in part-time jobs, only she never needs to leave home to do it until shopping - which is necessary any way.
    Good luck saving and happy clipping,
    gramma jan

• chisue
    13 years ago

It appears to me that most coupons are for things nobody *needs*: Expensive pet food and products, air 'fresheners', 'specialized' and disposable (landfill) cleaning products, cosmetics, single-serving convenience foods, etc.

You do have to wonder how it is profitable for 'them' to bribe you to buy their product. I understand if it's a new product, but that's seldom the case.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Just got back from weekly shopping at Wegman's.
    Large bag of potato chips, and 12oz of onion dip were free, Pork tenderloins on sale for $2.99/lb.
    Other items were priced the same as last week.

Did not see any prices go up...but then - I didn't buy any canned, frozen or prepared boxed stuff.

• lindie_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Monica, I envy you and am thinking of moving to Pennsylvania! It has always seemed like such a wonderful state, with all the history and the Amish. But I did do a Google search after your second post concerning rising food prices in Pennsylvania, and the first link which came up was to a paper called "The Times Leader," and I have no idea if that is a major newspaper in your area. The headline for Feb. 20, 2011 is "Food Prices Rising," and it even mentions the same store you did - Wegman's. No such store here. It is fantastic that you got free potato chips and onion dip - I've not been in a store in which that happens.

You said you do not buy any canned, frozen or prepared box stuff. We also can find pork tenderloins on sale, as you mentioned, and chicken. We're eating/buying a lot of that. But I'd really like to emulate you in some ways. What do you feed your family? Do you garden and can/freeze? Any advice would be gladly listened to! Thanks!!

• jannie
    13 years ago

Did anybody see the TV show on Super Couponing on TLC Wednesday night? They followed several couponing experts-3 women and one man. Using store specials, coupons clipped from Sunday circulars,and double coupons they got $1200 of goods for $30, $600 worth for $6, and the guy got hundreds of boxes cereal for free. (He donated them to charity). But it looked like lots of work-one woman spends 4 to 6 hours a day on her coupons. But they figured they saved $10,000 to $40,000 by couponing. Sounds like a pretty good "job". And then there's the problem of storage. One woman had food under her kids beds, in closets, literally everywhere. Another was more "organized" and had a room in her basement fitted out like a store with rotating shelves.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

The two coupons I used at Krogers were
    Charmin 9 mega size, 6.99 using Kroger digital coupon (9.99)

I would say TP is most definitely needed.

Stouffer lasagna one serving size. Special 5/10.00. I had 2 1.00 off newspaper coupons, got two, for 1.00 each.

Actually this is a new product, and I wouldn't have bought it to try except for the price. I had it for dinner and it was exceptionally good. I hope I can run across some more coupons.

When you live alone "single serving" is a good catch-line. If I bought some of everything that was in that (broccoli, carrots, spinach, onions; whole grain pasta, Parmesan and Romano cheese,it would cost several dollars, and most of it would go bad before I used it.

Those who do the mass couponing make me wonder. What are they going to do with all that?

But not to use coupons sensibly makes me wonder also.

Sue

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Lindie...I Googled newspaper called "The Times Leader. It's not near here...way upstate.

Wegman's mails out weekly coupon books (or you just ask for this week's coupons at the Customer Service counter). They always have 1 or 2 free items (with coupon), and maybe one or more $1 off coupons on meat/produce/health dept or fish purchase. This week, it was the chips and dip.

We eat a lot of chicken, turkey, pork and fish.

I make a pot of spaghetti sauce with italian sausage and meatballs about once a month (except in summer). The sauce gets used for chicken or veal parmagina, manicotti, over spaghetti(I make my own pasta), meatball sandwiches for lunch, etc.

I buy boneless chicken breasts, which get used in stir frys, chicken piccata, chicken fingers, Asian dishes like Bourbon chicken, general Tso's s chicken, chicken pot pie, chicken salad during the summer, etc. I have several recipes collected over the years.

We like shrimp. I buy the 2lb. bags of frozen uncooked shrimp for use in shrimp scampi, a creamy stir fry using shrimp, green peppers, onions, and asparagus tips. Also use it in several oriental dishes. Family favorite in the summer is Shrimp and Watermelon Salad, using a soy/ginger dressing.

I cook turkey, and served roasted, then leftovers are used for sandwiches (hot or cold), turkey salad, turkey croquettes.

I buy beef sirloin strips, that I use in beef stir fries and beef bourguignon (another family favorite).

To do these, I have a modest indoor herb garden, and several different dried herbs and spices, vinegars and oils.

I just love to cook.

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

I too am purchasing store brands to save. When I see a sale, I buy in bulk and freeze the products. I purchased a 2nd hand freezer and it has been a big help with the saving.

• samkaren
    13 years ago

I have always made things that will last us several days....go thing we love left overs. Tomorrow I am making a double batch of Chili. Last week I made a huge pan of Lasagna.

I have always bought store brands in leiu of name brand products. These days it doesn't make sense to pay extra just for the name on the label.

2 weeks ago we went to the butcher and stocked up. I spent $140 and got:
    5 slabs of ribs
    6 pounds of Ground Chuck
    10 links of Polish sausage
    2 pounds of Italian sausage
    5 pounds of Liver
    6 chicken breast
    and 6 pork chops.

I think I made a great purchase with that.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

When I hear people say you can't save using coupons, I know that they don't know the correct way to use a coupon. In this day and age, I'd make sure I knew the way to get the most out of a coupon.....I live in a small town and only have 3 stores so if I can do it, anyone can........but what really aggravates me is to hear people trying to convince others not to use coupons when I know that they wouldn't if they actually knew what they were talking about.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I didn't use them like a lot of women do. I like my brands, it I tried to change and did not like it, I would not be saving any money. I do not use coupons anymore, I only cook 2 days a week.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

You can save by using coupons. You just have to do it right. I've found that products often go on sale right before the coupons are about to expire. I'll use them then. Sometimes I'll find that a store is clearancing out or getting rid of items near their shelf life date. I'll use as many coupons as I can get my hands on. A tube of toothpaste or deodorant for $.50 or less is an awesome deal. I had clipped some coupons for toilet paper last year. I combined store and manufacturer coupons for an awesome deal on mega packages. I'm not brand loyal and that helps.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

We get very few coupons here. The stores don't honour the printed, online ones.

If I lived in the U.S. with the stores doing their double-coupon days, you betcha I'd be using coupons!

I do when I can get them, as long as it's something I'm buying normally.

• bengardening
    13 years ago

I posted on the ALBERTSONS post some ideas that I thought might help others. It is rather long. Check them out.

• bluejeans4ever
    13 years ago

Dollarama (Ontario) Canada sells whole wheat and white bread for $1.00 and recently added other related bread items

Giant Tiger has great prices on produce, not a huge selection but usually just what I need, it's fresh and always much less than Zehrs or Sobeys. The only thing I don't like about GT is that they don't offer reward points. :-( Ah well, I go for the overall savings (but the points are nice)

JASDIP I've never had a problem with printed online coupons and have used 2 (different) coupons for one item

My favourite sites for coupons and deals:
    www.smartcanucks.ca
    www.bargainmoose.ca

Coupon sites:
    brandsaver.ca
    save.ca
    websaver.ca
    (more listed on smart canucks)

Price Match! Zellers and Walmart price match, you can use coupons with price matching and do pretty good!

I am an avid "point" collector, optimum, visa rewards, airmiles, Sobeys, Sears, HBC, (which I convert to airmiles)

I buy Shopper's Drug Mart gift cards and recieve optimum points for purchasing them. Then I get points for spending them. Adds up really fast.

I've used my Visa Reward points to buy Shopper Drug Mart gift cards - which are different than the gift cards SDM sells. Then I take the Visa SDM gift cards to SDM and buy their gift cards, then spend them on 20x the points day.
    I only redeem my points on point redemption day and use tons of coupons. I have saved hundreds and hundreds doing this! And it's all legit. :-)

Oh and we go to a lot of movies and have a Scotia Bank Scene debit card which gets you free movies and discounts at the concession stand. Last week was the first week in ages where we had to pay full price for movie tickets as our scene point were all used up (darn teenagers!) But it's still a great deal (if you like the big screen like we do) Of course there is half price Tuesdays ... AND Pizza Pizza has a pizza and movie deal on right now. Get a large pizza and 3 drinks for $11 and get a free movie pass. So, that pretty much makes the movie free.

Shopping these days is all about strategy it seems.
    Everyone at my house knows better than to go out to buy something without asking Mom first if she has a coupon! lol Usually I do.

Geesh I could go on forever about couponing. It's sort of a hobby for me. :-)
    BJ

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

I have started shopping more and more at a store near me called Amelias Grocery outlet - They have 13 locations in Pennsylvania and sell mostly brand name close-outs.
    I save generally between 50-70%. I do not have a list when I go, I buy for price and cook from my freezer and pantry.
    For example, I just looked at this weeks special and a couple things I will buy:
    Hatfield Canadian Bacon, 6 oz for .99 (regular 4.19)
    Mrs Smith (ready to bake) apple pie: 1.99 (regular 7.39)
    Birdseye Sweet and Spicy chicken 2.49 (regular 4.99)
    Pillsbury crescent rolls 2/1.00 (regular 1.89)

They often have things like Tyson grilled chicken strips for 2/3.00 - I freeze a dozen or so of these and take out one at a time to make a weeks worth of chicken salad.

It is not a "full" grocery, but I can keep my pantry stocked nicely.

• chisue
    13 years ago

Slightly OT: DH just returned from the car wash. He bought gas too. $4.35/gallon. Good thing we never 'go anywhere'! (It would be higher in Chicago, with all the extra city taxes.)