SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Food Costs Rise & 20% of Americans are Hungry

chisue
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Have you noticed the larger total on your register receipt at the grocery? I have.

Have you seen media coverage of miles-long lines at food pantries? One family in five is experiencing food insecurity. Food prices in April topped a 46 year record; some reportedly due to hoarding.

Earlier, Trump's GOP tried to cut the 1.6% of the federal budget that pays for SNAP. I think it was before cutting funding for Health and Human Services and the World Health Organization. I don't know if they succeeded.

It appears to me that SNAP allows about $300/month for food to a single person. Eligibility allows 'a family of one' a net income slightly over poverty level. (Looks like $1041/mo. for one person on the SNAP tables; $2146/mo. for a family of four.)

What are your thoughts about rising costs of food as they affect you? As they affect others?

I would rather live in a nation that helps hungry people through federal taxes than see the elderly, children, (and everyone in between) hoping for charity at food pantries. It's not only more humane, but more equitable and efficient on both ends. (Could we avoid the politician's myth about Welfare Queens? There is no program that can't be scammed, but we don't reject the a larger good for that reason.)

Comments (35)