SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

"Most People Do the Best They Can"

sylviatexas1
11 years ago

didn't want to hijack the food stamp thread, but a comment on it

"Most people just do the best they know how"

reminded me of a lesson I learned one year about how easy it is to simplify & blame & make judgments, & how I can do that or I can ease someone's way.

Many years ago I worked with a veterans group on an angel tree/food basket project.

The idea was that parents would tell us what the kids needed/wanted, & we'd get it for them (our goal was 1 "useful" thing & 1 fun thing), & then we'd put together a food package:

big turkey from the grocery store,

brown-n-serve rolls,

gallon of milk,

stuffing mix,

baking potatoes,

canned green beans, etc.

We had to tweak our plans in 2 instances .

One family had 2 little girls, & our angel request came from a church, not a church that the family attended, just a church in the neighborhood that helped the family as much as it could.

Christmas put extra demands on their resources, so they asked us to add our help to theirs.

I called the pastor's wife to get sizes & such, & she added a request.

"Bring food that an 8-year-old can fix for her & her sister, & take the clothes & toys out of their boxes & cut off the pricetags."

turns out parents were usually drunk or stoned or in jail, & the girls fended for themselves.

If the presents had been returnable, the parents would have taken them back to the store for cash.

I was shocked!

shocked, I tell you!

& I asked her why CPS hadn't done something about this????

"They've been out, but the girls are fed & clothed & the house isn't bad enough to constitute a health risk, & we keep an eye on things."

Then, there was the financially needy elderly widow who refused the offer;

What??? We were just trying to help, & she turned up her nose & refused???

turned out she couldn't manage a big raw turkey, & she was of a generation that would go hungry rather than take hand-outs.

We got soups & jello pudding & juice boxes & microwave entrees for the girls, & we bought the elderly lady a pre-cooked turkey breast & a few other items & told her we had already bought them & asked her to take them off our hands.

If someone had bought the girls jello pudding with food stamps or if the widow had bought the pre-cooked turkey breast with food stamps, someone in line at the grocery store might have thought they were wasting gummit money.

Then they sent me out to deliver a package to a family with 4 children.

The mother had signed up after all the other boxes had been delivered, & that put the commander in a gripey mood.

turned out she couldn't sign up in person because she was working 2 jobs

& she didn't have a car.

(there was 1 car in the family, & the husband kept it during the day, can't remember if it was for doctor's appointments or in case he got a job call.)

I got some money from the quartermaster & bought presents & loaded up 3 boxes with the original menu + extra vegetables & bread & 3 gallons of milk.

When I got to the house, mom was at work & dad wouldn't come to the door, & the girls hadn't made it home yet, so the oldest boy, maybe 9 years old, brought his 4-year-old brother out to help bring in the groceries.

My irritation was growing;

what kind of guy won't get off his hiney for free groceries & toys for the kids at Christmas???

& then I opened the car door & the little guy's eyes lit up & he said, "Milk!" & grabbed a gallon carton & hauled it inside, hugging it to his chest.

& I felt very humble.

The older girl was coping the best she could for herself & her sister, but she needed prepared foods that she could manage.

& the pastor's wife just took my breath away:

not only did she help the family as much as she could, she beat the bushes for additional help as needed & she kept an eye on the girls' situation.

the widow was doing her best to be self-sufficient & her pride kept her from telling us that she couldn't use what we were offering.

the dad may have been drunk or stoned, or he may have been in bed with a broken leg, or he may have been too ashamed to come to the door, but the mom was doing everything she could for her family, & the kids took up the slack as best they could.

so now I try to remember that

nobody can be totally self-reliant all the time,

I never know anybody's whole story,

& I never know what hurt or need anybody is concealing.

Comments (19)