SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juellie1962

Do you like football??

juellie1962
13 years ago

I do! And the season starts today, well the first Sunday anyway, it actually started THursday). GO PACKERS!! :)

Comments (37)

• kayjones
    13 years ago

No - I find it a waste of good time!

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Ditto, Kayjones. Not a worshiper of ball jockies, here.

• Related Discussions

What do you like Now that you didn't like Before?

Q

Comments (26)
    For years I didn't care for potato chips or French fries though I liked potatoes prepared other ways, but the past few years there are times I crave them now. It's a combination of the oil/grease & salt. Rather than a certain food, I find that I now like specific dishes a lot more than I used to: stews, pot roast, sauerkraut, sausage, biscuits & gravy (notice the interest in heavy fat foods?) A kind of sad thing, I LOVED chocolate to the point of once buying & eating a whole BOX of Hershey's bars, & going to chocolate conventions for a few years. Now I've lost my taste for chocolate; I don't hate it, but I don't care if I have it or not, & when I do have a piece, it doesn't taste all that great. Calories I don't have to worry about, I suppose. It's also given me empathy for older people who have lost their taste for food.
    ...See More

If you like brown fantasy quartzite, what other stones do you like?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have fantasy brown and I also like dolce vita quartzite. [dolce vita slab[(https://www.houzz.com/products/dolce-vita-quartzite-prvw-vr~5056980) [dolce vita quartzite[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/dolce-vita-quartzite-phbr0lbl-bl~l_43655)
    ...See More

Why do you love football?

Q

Comments (2)
    The game is aesthetically beautiful. There's so much space on the field, the geometry is mesmerizing, and there are so many different types of skill being displayed simultaneously by the players on the pitch. The aspect of a constantly running clock makes the game seem perpetually in motion, and so it can become hypnotic at times. I'd argue that even the teams who play “crap” football are still great to watch, if just for the sake of unpredictability. It's really a great sport to watch, no matter if you're a tactics fanatic or just looking for entertainment.
    ...See More

Where do you eat your meals and why do you like to eat there?

Q

Comments (57)
    Sorry for the yellowed image, it's gloomy outside today, but this is the view from the eating area in our kitchen. Here is where we eat 95% of our meals during cool or super hot weather, if it's mild or warm, we eat out side at the table. Our dining room is for larger gatherings. I love it there too, but rarely would the two of us choose to eat there alone. I've cleaned up the table so that the bottles of vitamins, supplements and Kleenex box are on the island, normally they live at DH's place! The tv is on the counter, to the right of the table. DH hates it being on in the mornings because it disturbs his reading of the paper, however we are usually watching the news or Jeopardy during dinner. Rarely do we eat in the den. We just don't find it comfortable to hang over the low coffee table while sitting on the sofa. Although that said, DH takes a tray in there when I'm having a Mahjongg game at the kitchen table. DD moved to Georgia and has the above areas and a darling screened in porch. I think that would be the best of both worlds.
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

No for me too.

Sue

• susan_on
    13 years ago

I don't really watch football myself, but it makes me happy to see DH and DS enjoying baseball, basketball and foot ball games together. They get hours of enjoyment out of watching sporting events together.

• sue_il
    13 years ago

I enjoy watching football. Spent many fun hours watching DS play through the years, still love going to the Friday night high school games. I also enjoy watching the pros, DH used to watch from pre-game through the last game on Sunday nights--that was a bit much for me, I will watch the Bears and that will do it for me.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

I don't mind it. DH will be watching the Eagles today, and I hope they win, but I don't have to see it happen.

The game is too slow for me. I think it was George Carlin who described football as "a committee interrupted by bursts of violence".

• bigack
    13 years ago

DH and DS watch the WV games, and the Steelers. I will watch bits and pieces of them if it gets close.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, we are a football household. GO STEELERS!!

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

I don't mind watching it if its a good game. I hate the blow out games though. I should say I take quite a few naps during the games too! :)

I LOVE baseball however! LOL

• jannie
    13 years ago

I don't care for football, I don't understand all those rules. But I love baseball-the season lasts way into November! But I do like to sit with hubby when he watches football on TV. I like to make him all kinds of cheesy, fatty, spicy snacks!

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

Yes, I LOVE football!! Went to the Badgers season opener yesterday at Camp randall in Madison, which they won (rather poorly I might add). Love the Packers. Grew up going to Chicago Bears with my Dad.

It helps that both kids are in the UW marching band, so that is added incentive to head down to Mad town.

• terilyn
    13 years ago

Love it! Off to the Texans/Colts game in just a few. This is a hard one for me, love my Texans, but, LOVE Peyton Manning, he was a Vol afterall!

• donna_loomis
    13 years ago

I think it's a waste of time and a sinful waste of money, given what professional players are paid. And I am so glad that DH has no interest either.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I just have to respond to Donna. "Sinful" is a little extreme. As I stated above we just got back from a college game. First of all, many student athletes would never get a college education if not for sports. Second, the economic impact that having 80,000 people flocking to a city is huge, from restaurants to hotels to shopping. Third, what's wrong with having a little fun in life. Football, and sports in general, bring a lot of happiness to people and some people actually stay fit participating. For all the naysayers, I say LIGHTEN UP.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Oh, boy, here we go. but I feel strongly about this. Just exactly how much EDUCATION do the collage sports player get?? Often they don't even have to attend class, and if they do, they can fail and still PLAY THE GAME. I wonder what percentage of them go on to be able to support themselves and future families with what they "learn" in collage? They can't PLAY ball for the rest of their lives. In my opinion, the chance to actually learn something, while going to school, and squandering it because of sports, is sinful, or at least shameful. JMO

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

OK, let's just not continue in this vein. I didn't mean to start the discussion in this direction and cannot stand when threads get all controvers.ial, my mistake and so sorry. But an education is what you put into it whether a student athlete or not. There are plenty that take that opportunity and use it wisely. We tend to hear only of the ones who abuse it, not those who have gone on to make something of their lives (that is too boring).

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Sleeperblues....I don't see where you said anything wrong nor do you need to apologize for anything either.
    It was a "simple" question.....Do you like Football...
    Could have been answered with a pleasant Yes I do, or No I don't

I like it, and will watch it with my husband, but usually not the whole game unless its a really exciting one !

• socks
    13 years ago

No, I don't care for it but have sat through more than enough games in my lifetime. The sound of it on TV gets on my nerves after a while. Seems like football fans like the game better if it's LOUD on TV! I'm glad my husband enjoys it and follows his favorite team closely, goes to the majority of their games. It's good that people have an interest in things.

Whether you like it or not, it's a part of our culture. Sometimes the tumbles and spills the players take make me cringe, thinking of the potential injuries.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Nope, don't understand it at all.

We don't get into it, with a huge following like you guys do.
    I watched Friday Nite Lights this year for the first time, and was amazed at the overwhelming popularity of high school.

• ritamay91710
    13 years ago

yep....lots of football here!!!
    especially love the games in the rain and snow.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Yes I do and can understand the rules too. My favorite is Australian Rules Football but we don't get much coverage in the states. I like college and pro games

• patti43
    13 years ago

I only like college football. I can't watch both because the rules are different for college and pro ball and my pea brain can only half-way remember one or the other, so I picked college! :-)

Yesterday was very painful to watch so I listened and played on the computer.

• gemini40
    13 years ago

yes I love it...so happy it's football season again..Go Patriots!!!

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

No, I don't care for any sports, really.

• chisue
    13 years ago

DH turned on the Bears game at noon and our Westie immediately scratched to go out. He *knows* his Pop will be moaning and groaning -- and worse. Two years ago (when the Bears were also having a terrible season) DH would tape the night games to watch the next day (or not). I'd have to 'edit' the newspaper until he'd screened the game. I think this is a sickness that's passed on from father to son. LOL

I'm grateful our DS never *played* football. You can always tell the former football players in old age. They limp. The pro players are often 'not all there' due to brain injuries and the use of drugs to keep them 'in the game' even when injured. I thought the movie "North Dallas Forty" was very good on the topic.

I prefer baseball. (Another Carlin-ism, "In baseball you get to go *home*."

Mostly, I prefer non-professional *every sport*.

In some colleges, athletes are also scholars. A huge percentage of Northwestern University's athletes graduate -- in four years and with meaningful degrees. (Unlike some schools in the Big Ten.)

• lavon46
    13 years ago

I think its interesting to read how different we all are.
    I grew up with a dad that loved basketball, so I still like watching it to this day. Love the Lakers....and I enjoy football, but have never been to a live game. And yet I have been to many baseball games and I dont care for it and never watch it, so go figure ? I do like the hot dogs and peanuts though :-)

• irishdancersgram
    13 years ago

Living in STEELER COUNTRY, what do you think????? Weekends in our house is filled with football....Hubby went to Notre Dame, Son and Grandsons went to Penn State, another son went to Pitt, another son went to W. Virginia and everyone follows the Steelers......

There was always a rule, no weddings, no babies being born and heaven forbid that anyone should pass away on a football weekend.......

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I like some football, not the pro games much.

I go to the local high school and junior high games because there are always players that I have watched growing up.

I also like the excitement, the bands, cheerleaders, fans yelling encouragement, the aroma from the concession booth, the chill in the air, that tweet from the ref's whistle

• lkgrace345
    13 years ago

Absolutely! We're large fans of football, particularly college football...and most particularly, the University of Alabama and other SEC teams.

• User
    13 years ago

I much prefer college football and have been to both Notre Dame games so far this year. Yesterday, also tailgated in the rain and it was a blast! I'll be back there in 2 weeks, for yet another game and a mini-reunion with 6 of my best female friends from college.

ND also graduates it's student athletes...in 4 yrs no less.
    This year's team has a few players who are working on their master's degrees.

Sitting outside at a football game on a nice fall day is the best! Pro football...I never watch a full game any more even though my husband has 3 teams he closely follows.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Despise football. Never ever watched a game but love baseball..GO PHILLIEs!!!!!

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

love all chicago pro sports plus IU & UCF college sports. i grew up going to chicago cubs and bears games w/ my dad and he went w/ his dad :-) from my teens till i was 30 (moved to orlando then) i also added in Bulls and Blackhawks games too plus my alma mater Indiana Univ (bobby knight days). now my DH goes to UCF and they are an emerging big college, right now ranked #3 in size. my DH is not a sports fan (he's a sports widow actually lol) and does not understand what the importance of sports is to UCF. aside from the players and all that, the sports programs attract more students from all over the country, draw more support from alumni, brings in national contracts for equipment and national exposure on TV, which feeds the whole thing. all of it equates to more $$ for the university and inturn helps support education for all. i'm sure there are plenty of educational programs that would be cut if sports didn't bring in $$$. my DH's college of Engineering gets ALOT of $$$$ from Lockheed, Boeing, Siemens etc...i'm sure departments like art, literature, education etc...get nothing from private donors.

two yrs ago UCF opened a huge new stadium which employs several hundred people yr round. last yr they opened a new arena for basketball which also hosts tons of concerts and shows year round. they paid off the arena's building costs in the very first yr! the arena also employs several hundred more employees. the orlando magic are just about to open a new arena, one of the largest & most expensive ever built. my DH has 2 nieces who work for the magic, make very good $$ and i was shocked to find out they employ 3000 people. several thousand construction people have been working on the arena for 2 yrs now. when that is done the workers switch over to building an art and concert center for Orlando adjacent to the arena, that opens in 2013. the construction of these buildings is very far reaching into the community. i have friends in horticulture who have provided all the plants, flowers and palms to the arena site. part of the magic deal to get permission for this building involved them building 2 or 3 new community rec and education centers thru out the city, so that adds to the jobs, money and enrichment of the city. ~ liz

• peoniesandposies
    13 years ago

NO, what a waste of time!

• maryanntx
    13 years ago

I love football ! I watch professional games and also buy season tickets for our high school team.
    I'm getting ready to watch the Cowboy game right now.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Back in the Met Stadium days, I would go to a couple games a year. I used to really enjoy it but appreciate it less and less as time goes by. I guess the involvement of the referees has gotten to me. They're there to officiate and not give points to their favorite teams. It's become blatantly obvious to me that the bias of some of the officials is borderline criminal and detracts from the game. With all the money spent in pro football they could spare a few coins and have *professional* referees instead of a part time job as a reward to a lawyer friend of an NFL muckymuck. Replay was a good decision and worked well for a long time but now they don't want to make themselves look like fools so they don't overturn mistakes.

I watch a few games a year. That's about it. Too many other frustrations about it and not just officiating. I'm tired of billionaire owners waving their tin cups begging for money from the locals when they should be giving money to the locals. I'm tired of the few restaurants and hotels benefiting while the locals have to pay for the increased law enforcement, damage to the infrastructure and other expenses that they won't acknowledge or reimburse. I'm tired of "athletes" (term used loosely) expecting special treatment in court when they get arrested. And this constant myth about all the money it brings in... yeah, all those minimum wage or less jobs that it brings is more like it. Like I said a few hotels and restaurants benefit. The local people do not. But the owners threaten to move and the nutcase radicals panic and say WE GOTTA GIVE 'EM A NEW STADIUM!!!!!!

BTW, here's an example of the jobs created: Food vendors at the dome would be paid minimum wage for up to 3 hours per game day. Then they had to pay for parking! And game day has increased parking rates. (Yes team owners... wave your tin cup all you want. You get no sympathy from me. People complain about Walmart!)

But I must say, it's far better than hitting a ball and chasing it. Or hitting a ball with a stick and run around in a circle. Now THAT is quite a "sport"! :) You want to see a real sport, watch Aussie Rules Football! There are some athletes and a fun game.

• golfergrrl
    13 years ago

Yes. Watched the 9ers get creamed today. It's gonna be a long season unless we can find a quarterback.
    I do prefer to watch college though. The kids really try.
    Their games are more exciting. The pro games are so predictable. I think alot of the pros are just there to collect a paycheck.

• littlebit_gw
    13 years ago

Love my football from local High School teams to the pros.. None of my teams did well this weekend and I am afraid its gonna be a long dry season in TN VOL land.. But oh well still love my football!! Already looking forward to tomorrow night!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor