SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Feeling Numb

Cherryfizz
14 years ago

I received some devastating news about a friend today that has left me feeling quite numb.

I came home today after being out with a friend and my neighbour Dale came over to talk to me. I asked him when he was leaving for Afghanistan (he was going to train the police) and he said he wasn't going now. He said Karen just had an operation to have her stomach removed! My jaw hit the road and I gasped. He said she had a sore stomach a couple of weeks ago and thought it was an ulcer but the pain got worse so she went to the Doctor and after tests said she had cancer of the stomach. They did the operation last week and she will have to start chemo soon.

Karen is such an amazing woman. She is so athletic, runs marathons and is involved in a lot of sports in the City. That this could happen to her is so shocking to me. Plus she is only in her 30's. Karen and Dale have 2 daughters in high school.

How come I feel worse for her than I did for my own sister? That shocks me too.

I don't want to see this family have to go through this just like I don't like when other families have to watch their loved one suffer.

How bad is stomach cancer, I don't know too much about it. Any cancer is bad wherever it is. Dale said they removed Karen's stomach and said they think they removed all the cancer. They hooked the esophagus(sp) up to her intestine. How would you eat or digest your food?

I don't know what to do. I want to bring a lasagna over but don't know if I should. Maybe I will wait. Dale said Karen wasn't having a good day today so today was not a good day to go over.

I told him to give her my good thoughts and that I was thinking about her. I said if they need anything or Karen just wants someone to sit with her to give me a call. I would even go to her Chemo treatments with her since her kids will be in school or Dale has to go to work.

Karen is a strong woman so full of humour and we have such a good time and lots of laughs when we "cross the ditch for a beverage" as she calls crossing the road.

I am just shocked and numbed by this news.

I know this is going to be hard on Dale and their girls but he showed some humour today when I told him I noticed that more people were visiting and I saw flowers being brought in. I said I thought people were coming to say goodbye as he was leaving in Septamber and he laughed and said "now who would be bringing me flowers"

Anne

Comments (21)