Degenerative Disc Disease - Numbness in Face
22 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (51)
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Just venting........... I just found this post and............
Comments (13)Barb, my advice to you is to go to a few Dr's, get a few opinions, have them make note of everything. Be sure to detail to them what you wrote here and type yourself up a health database in Word that lists Dr appts, main Dr's, Dr's consulted, medications, past medications (even if you've tried them & couldn't tolerate) any tests, as well as a detailed pain history - what brings it on, reaction to meds, side effects, and if you can, include pictures. You say arthritis in your hands- see if you can find some medical pics and edit them with a detailed legand like my & . Notice on the pics the marks are different colors, each color represents a different pain sensation (throbbing, stabbing, numbness). I have found that the Dr's I go to appreciate my pics & my detailed pain history chart. I just had my 2nd court hearing Nov 3rd. Yesterday I posted on another post in the health forum (link below). I hope that my fight will be over. One thing I had going for me was a few years back I had my neuro type a letter about how long I can sit or drive in a car. My Ex & I were arguing over where half-way was for a drop off point for my son. Even after mapping it, he still thought that since he couldn't take a direct route to get there that his time factored in. Anyway, at my last hearing, that letter along with a few others about my limitations may have gotten me disability since that vocational expert "found" jobs for me, like a bank teller,(ruled out due to medications) but since I couldn't walk fast, sit long, bend, those jobs were ruled out. He'd then suggest another list, which then got cut down from letter 2. Each letter's limitations were read, until we got to the last one. It was suggested I could be an "information clerk" (whatever that is) or an "order clerk". Information clerk was ruled out due to my divorce attorney asking where the jobs were located (he really rocked!), since they were out of my driving range, that went. The order clerk went after my attorney asked specifically what kind of store. He then ruled that out due to medications, & limitations. I'll say one thing, my disability attorney going on maternity leave might have been the best thing to happen to me. It just happened that my divorce attorney took on her work load for letters A through K. Since I know he can argue cases (haven't lost a case against the Ex) I wasn't worried going in there this time. I thanked him on the way out & told him how much better he was than her, he said she's a good attorney altho I haven't seen that. Punky, (((HUGS))) man, I could have written that post! I know all too well about emailing people, even people who also suffer from pain- they don't want to hear it either. I got an email from one "friend" who also suffers from pain. We used to vent to each other, I enjoyed chatting & emailing with her. One day, I made a post at another place about new problems (colon / stomach related) I was having. No one replied- I was shocked. They supposedly were my "friends" it was a rough time, I was at that place where you wonder why you stick around. We chatted & I mentioned no one replying, she then hit me with a wake up call, pretty much what you said. I don't remember if she even mentioned my new problems in that email, but I made a vow not to update everyone about my health. If someone emails asking, I'll say there is no change, or something to that effect but won;t get into it. I don't think anyone could prepare us for what this does to a marriage. This has to be the worst year for us, the 6 years we've been togather. He used to be patient & loving, now he's moody & loses his temper & throws things. Recently a "paver" came flying 2 ft to my right. It has been the worst year for my "dark cloud", I can't wait until 2005. Every time I turn around something else happens. I'm dealing with failed back surgery (fused Nov 2003), a daughter with problems in school due to ODD (funny, she's fine home), an Ex that blames me for her problems, a son who's father I fought & won for him to go to a really good art college, dropping out due to depression, my son then moving to CA to get away from it & having to move back for our next court battle against his "father" to enforce an order that he finish paying the loan he was ordered to pay. Unfortunatly he beat us to filing, & now my son is faced with the realization that his "father" cares more about $5,000 then him. Add to this my back problems got worse after surgery; all the 2nd opinions I went to said the fusion is fine, and my most recent colon / bowel / stomach problems. How much can a person take? I know there are people in much worse shape than me, but even knowing that doesn't help when hit with other things popping up that I don't need. I just want to be able to do things again, to go to work & have money to spend. I want to be able to go on an airplane & go on vacation. I want to take my daughter to the beach & swim in the ocean without worrying about the tide, or someone knocking into me. I want to take her to Great Adventure & ride a roller-coaster again. Heck, I'd be happy to walk the park! lol Who has $40 to rent a scooter? I'd love to bake & sew again & ride the Harley we bought right before I stopped working. Thankfully, there is gardening. The one place I can go & take my frustrations out on the dirt or prune the perennials down, or even rip them out when they get invasive. I save jobs like this for those bad mood days. I now pot up any invasive plants I pull out & will start selling them in the spring. I purchased a shelf / greenhouse from BJ's wholesale club & have it set up inside. I started trying to grow clematis from seed, it's actually coming up (let's hope it's not weeds). I also started a few rose cuttings, knock on wood, but so far they aren't dying- woohoo! I've been trying to root roses for years with no luck. I just harvested rose hips last weekend & will try to grow from seed. Hopefully, this will give me something to do in the winter months. This is the greenhouse I have if anyone is interested. I'm sure it can be found cheaper, I paid $25 for it. Best price I could find was $50, oh well, not allowed to mention the site here. On preview of post, it said this vendor not allowed. If anyone wants the link, email me. It is $49.99 with $2.95 shipping. I found a few on Ebay, but shipping kills you. You know, I'd really like to see a venting forum. Here is a link that might be useful: My responce on another post....See MoreWhat to do w/ illness and disabilities?
Comments (22)Plantermunn What a stroke of luck to find at a garage sale, huh? And it sounds very much like something I could use. I'll keep an eye out for one. And Ezzirah.. girl, I NEED a couple of those tools they have there. Thank you! When I get paid, I'm looking forward to getting me three items. I thanked them profusely and asked them for a catalog hoping they have more, but no, just what's online. I did have a chance to peruse the accessibility forum. I really love the spirit of some of those gardeners have - especially those in chairs. Wow! There I found a few more ideas, but not as good as these were. :) Mostly, I was reminded to plan ahead while building this garden of mine; keep things level and plan for accessibility with crutches or wheel chair. It would be pathetic to build it and need to restructure it later. So, I should start now. Mostly, I think the raised beds (3 foot or more) got the best reviews for accessibility....See Moredisability requirements
Comments (6)Take the advice above. It is a lot of information to wade through, but worth doing. I worked last summer for SSA. The standard is this: Do you have a condition that will last for more than 12 months - and clearly you do and are you able to participate in a "substantial gainful activity". Substantial is not defined as much. You will have to show that you can't work. You will need supporting documentation from your doctor. It would help a lot if your current employer would say that you were unable to adequately perform your duties due to your condition. You cannot apply for this while you are still working. You would have to quit. The back-log of cases is substantial so it would be months before you see a check. You can get paid back for some (not all) of that time, but supposing you quit, wait, and then don't qualify. Could you withstand that financial blow? You will be asked to fill out a form documenting your daily activities. Can you go shopping for food? Can you cook your own meals? Can you do a reasonable job of cleaning your house. If the answer to those questions is yes, then I think you will have a really hard time making a case. An agressive lawyer might work around that - but that's going to cost you too. SSI benefits aren't that high. I would expect you to pay up to a year of your benefits to an attorney. Maybe you can find one who will work for less. You might try going to your local unemployment office for free advice and assistance, but I don't know if they will spend time with you while you are still employed. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. If SSI were easy, we would all do it. I am not working due to a pretty severe case of fibromyalgia. Lucky for me, my husband is able to support us both. I wouldn't apply for SSI because the answer to the questions about my lifestyle clearly show that I can keep myself and my house clean and functioning....See Morewhat could cause me too...
Comments (9)Catlady, have you been to the doctor yet? I just read your post and I had similar symptoms. I couldn't hold a coffee cup unless I held it with both hands. Whatever I had in my hand, my hand would jerk and it was embarassing at work as sometimes I would spill my coffee. My family doctor was one wise lady. I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome, but she immediately knew it was coming from my back. She sent me to a neurologist and I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. It does sound like a back or neck problem, but we aren't doctors here, all we can do is guess. Please go see a neurologist if you haven't already....See More- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 22 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 14 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full StorySponsored
inkinmama