SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Stroke or??

neetsiepie
9 years ago

Yesterday morning I woke up and thought the alarm clock was going off, but it wasn't, so I figured it was a dream. A bit later, when it DID go off, I tried to sit up in bed but couldn't. Finally was able to sit up, but then I couldn't stand or walk. I managed to make my way to the bathroom where I looked in the mirror to see if my face was sagging-the left side of my face felt weird. I also had cognitive issues-tried to add 1+1 but kept coming up with 3.

Long story short, I ended up in the ER. My BP was very high (157/95) and I was feeling numbness on my left side. Slurred speech, and vertigo, too.

An MRI and ultrasound of the carotid ateries revealed I had not had a stroke, but rather a rare form of migraine called a hemplegic migraine. Obviously I'm extremely relieved that it wasn't a stroke. But my BP was super high during this time, so I've just bought myself a BP monitor to keep an eye on it. The ringing alarm clock that wasn't was an 'aura'. I've usually gotten the aura's visually, but this time was a sonic aura.

I thought I'd just put the word out to my friends, if you have ANY reason to suspect a stroke-get it checked out. Learn about stroke symptoms-they're not always evident, like those I had, but don't take any chances. I'm really glad I got checked out! I'm feeling really wrung out today-a side effect of severe migraines is called postdrome-where you feel as if you've been hit by a truck. No energy, lethargic, and in my case, sleeping nearly 2/3 of the day away. But hoping that in a few days time I'll be back to my usual self.

Comments (19)