SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Have you checked your spices lately?

pammyfay
12 years ago

After I read Sooey's posting about finding a new spice rack, I made a mental note to go through my spices' expiration dates and see if I should toss some out.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I really am not much of a cook. Not great at it, don't have the desire to learn. But occasionally I get the itch to try a recipe, maybe to duplicate a frozen entree and make it healthier or if I have a craving for something.

So how in the world did I end up with 2 containers of celery seed? I cannot even remember the recipe(s) that made me buy them. Clearly the dish turned out bad, or I'd be using that celery seed more often.

So on Sunday, I Went through a spice rack that holds 12 glass bottles of spices. Tossed those spices right out once I saw the expiration dates on the original bottles they were "decanted" from (the spice makers' Web sites have "date calendars").

I had a lot of spices, most of them expired (gee, ya think that affected how my food tasted?). One I dated myself by the store name (that one was 12 or 13 years old, based on the last time I was near a Kroger!). Now I'm down to under 10, basics like cinnamon, Italian seasoning, ginger, lemon pepper, etc. Put those 10, in the original containers, in a plastic shoebox and tucked it in a small sideboard. After those are done, I'll start marking purchase dates on their replacements.

Sure did clear up cabinet space!

Now I have to figure out what to do with all the glass bottles that the 12-spice rack came with as well the ones from my previous spice rack (which held a lot more).

Might just put the 12-spice rack back together with cleaned bottles and put it up as a freebie on Craigslist.

Any suggestions for repurposing the glass spice bottles?

Comments (12)