SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

On the other side of the yard, 3 pics

13 years ago

I didn't really want her nesting anywhere near my yard, but since she's a protected native species there wasn't anything I could do about it.

"She" is the common house wren. On the surface house wrens are entertaining, comical, little song birds. They're in constant motion and are great for keeping bugs and caterpillars off of the garden plants. These two are constantly working over my tomato plants, for which I'm thankful.

Their only bad habit is that they search for other birds' nests and then poke holes in all the eggs they can find. This hen got all the eggs from my robin's third nesting attempt.

It is legal to remove the house wren's nest twigs BEFORE any eggs are laid. I removed three of her nests (twigs only) in the back yard, but while I was busy doing that, they built this nest and had eggs in it before I could discover what they were up to.

Now I'm going to be the proud mama of five house wrens.

So far, she's left the Purple Martins alone, and the chickadees nested and left before the wren showed up. The tree swallows eggs have all hatched.

It's all good, and as long as she can keep her marauding confined to the side yard, we'll get along just fine.

Here's my pride-of-place Arkansas red cedar nest box hung on the neighbor's privacy fence.

The house wrens' idea of an ideal home.

I had to use a mirror to "see" up and over into the nest cup. I took this photo by wiggling the camera in top of the box and guesstimating the eggs' location.

A house wren gathering spider cocoons for her nest.

A robin egg attacked by a house wren.

Comments (10)