SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Red-breasted nuthatch interested in 'Chickadee' box!

caroline94535
13 years ago

I have a tiny Red-Breasted Nuthatch (actually I have dozens of them) checking out the dedicated "Chickadee" house. They stay here year-round (contrary to what the map may show) and love black oil sunflower seed and the suet cakes.

This is supposedly the "perfect" chickadee house, hung in the "perfect" chickadee nesting location...and it has never once been occupied by a chickadee.

My first-ever chickadee pair chose to nest in a blue bird box less than 5' off the ground, in an open area between the neighbors' busy garage and our driveway. The box is about 6' from the neighbors' car and thier four-wheeler was in and out every day of the nesting cycle. The Dee-Dees love the location. Go figure. They fledged six chicks; I'm not complaining! LOL

Anyway, this one particular Red-Breasted Nuthatch has been all over the cedar box hung on a spruce tree between my yard and the other neighbors'. He's going in and out, perching on top and looking around and seems very happy with the place. That tree is one of five, and my spruce is maybe 25' away.

I wonder if it's too late for them to nest now; or if he's checking it out for next spring? The American Gold Finches are just now nesting, and Bad-Luck Bessie, my robin, is attempting to hatch her third clutch of eggs. The Woodpeckers and Grackles have fledglings, as do the Chipping Sparrows and House Finches.

The Red-breasted Nuthatches are much smaller than even the Chickadees. I think the "cute factor" in the yard will explode if I can add their fledglings to all the others.

I did not take this photo, but they'll show some of the Red-breasted Nuthatches' charms!

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow the tabs for lots of RBNH info.

Comment (1)