SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnt_gw

Update on Granite Woes

minnt
16 years ago

I sat down with my granite fabricator after a nightmare of a week with his crew messing things up with my granite. First, they cut the eating part of the granite too short to accommodate the antique corbels that came from my husband's grandmother's farm house. When the fabricator and I decided what to do, they brought it out again and I realized that they didn't cut it the way I wanted it. I had specifically pointed out a river of rock that I wanted on that part. I

was sick when I saw only about 4" from that river.

All in all, I ended up with holes on the stiles where the old corbels were taken off, a piece of granite in the premier spot that wasn't to my liking, two back splashes that have to be redone, two cabinets that they had damaged, two spots on the walls that they damaged and two arguments, including name calling, with the job supervisor (a young punk of about 25).

My entire granite order includes two bathroom vanities, one with one sink, the other with two sinks, both with granite that came from his yard;

a serving island, a butler's pantry and kitchen, which has an island and a cook top area, all from granite I chose from a slab yard.

The total estimate was $11,650.00. For all my troubles, with me providing new corbels, he has offered to reduce my bill by $500. I was not born yesterday and know there must be more profit in granite than that or else shops would be closing all over the place.

He said he bid the job low because they really needed the job at the time and there was so much of it, so his profit margin is low. He agreed to look at his numbers again and we will talk on Monday. I am not one to punish honest mistakes, but as the week wore on, my patience wore thin.

Yes, I have beautiful granite, but how much nicer would this post be if I could say that everything was fantastic and nothing went wrong. Sigh...

Comments (2)