SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Update (of estimate/contractor woes)

Carrie B
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

When I last posted, I'd just gotten an estimate back from the first contractor - the one that the KD likes to work with. Estimate was way higher than I anticipated - and the primary expense was opening up/re-enforcing a large portion of my back wall for a sliding door/transom. That story *relayed here.*

At that point, I did two things: First, I came up with an alternate plan (leave actual kitchen layout as in plan, but modify back wall) that contractor said would be much less expensive. Then, set about getting one or two other estimates. I must say that getting a contractor out has been a major PIA. I went to Angie's List & to Home Advisor, and the percentage of contractors/buliders who don't return calls was so high that I found myself going down the list...

I am waiting back from two that did come out.

One of the things I did not anticipate is that with each set of contractors, what's included varies, so very hard to compare apples to apples. Is this normal? First contractor doesn't include refinishing floors, but said he could recommend someone. Second contractor doesn't include electrical work - AND told me I should go to the windows/doors place near me to get prices for the actual windows & doors (first contractor includes the actual windows/doors.) Third set (contractor & mason, who came together) will give me two sets of estimates.

Also, third contractor says my kitchen floor is uneven (uh huh, my entire house is uneven) & therefore the pilings (OK, I actually think it wasn't "pilings", but don't remember the word he used) & that cabinets should not be installed on uneven floors so they'll also have to be reinforced.

All 3 had different opinions about whether my original wood floors can be used (they're currently covered in tile) one says "no problem, we might need to patch some small areas" and another says "no way, you need a new floor, there's rot in multiple places."

I realize that I might pay a premium for an "all included" contractor, but it seems like there's really no standard. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as that how it is in my garden/landscape field, but *gees*.

So, now I'm waiting on 3 estimates. The modified idea for the back wall is still growing on me. I may even like it better than the big sliding door for a number of reasons unrelated to cost.

Comments (10)