SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

low voltage lighting/electrical -- DIY help needed!

plants4
15 years ago

First some basics. The rough electrical work was done by an electrician. We are finishing the kitchen from the sheetrock on out. My husband, not me, is the person in the family who knows something about electricity. But I'm the one asking the questions...so please be tolerant if I make an idiot out of myself!

Here are my questions:

The wires for the plugmold and undercabinet lighting are set to come out where those items would be hooked up, at the base of the upper cabinets. Do we sheetrock with those wires coming out at that exact location or is there a better location (e.g., slightly higher, slightly under where the cabinets will)?

I know that we have to have some sort of transformers for the undercabinet lighting but I'm not clear on exactly where these transformers go. Do they have to be in the cabinet or under the cabinet or could they be located elsewhere (e.g., the sink) with wires running to the location where the lighting will be installed? Where is the best location for transformers when the cabinets have glass doors?

Do we need to have figured out exactly what undercabinet lighting we're going to use before we sheetrock and/or before we install cabinets?

Since the plugmold and undercabinet lighting wires are presently at the same location, is it better to have one slightly higher/lower, left or right (with relation to the cabinet) than the other?

As always, I'm grateful for any assistance!

And Happy New Year!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville