SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parafly9

Low-Voltage Lighting Help!

parafly9
16 years ago

Hi All,

I didn't realize there was a dedicated lighting forum here! This is great!

Anyways, I live in house here:

{{gwi:110244}}

If you look at the house, I have a walkway running up the right-hand side. Not sure if you can see it or not on that picture, but I have installed some Malibu bollard lights (20w each) along the walkway. I have six on the right of the house and two on the left to even it out even though they aren't on the walkway. I then have a single flood in the yard (50w) and last weekend I put two 30w floods in the landscaping island lighting up my cherry tree and also the eastern redbud tree.

I currently have a 300w transformer and am using 12ga wire everywhere.

The problem is I am getting serious dimming on the three flood lights. My lights all total 270 watts :

(8) bollards @ 20 watts + (2) Floods @ 30 watts + (1) Flood @ 50 watts

I have a LOT of wire though - there is a total of 400 feet of wire. It is split into two runs, the first run takes care of the six bollard lights down the walkway to the driveway and the second run takes care of the other two bollard lights and the three floodlights.

Would stepping up the transformer be enough to solve my lighting problems? Or do I need to go to 10-gauge wire? Or what? I really could spend another $100 on a transfomrer but that's it, I don't think I can afford one of those $500 multitap transformers.

Also, is LED landscape lightinig beocming a thing yet? That would be nice for energy savings and ease of wiring.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH