SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Help build my case or give into DH? Choose layout A or B (pix)

huango
12 years ago

Help build my case or give into DH? Choose layout A or B (pix)

Help me see the light OR as LavenderLass stated: "I think you could have a much better plan" (referring to my latest layout design)?

I am sure GWKitchen has been very helpful in marriage counseling for numerous situations through the years. I need feedback from: other wives who have been through this, husbands who can explain DH's view better, those working with tight budgets, those who view there are other things to spend money on (we have many many vacation plans that need budgeting - China, Italy, Peru, etc):

--> WHAT WOULD YOU DO? What are your reasons?

Long story short: DH wants to spend only half of what I want to spend on a kitchen renovation.

His claim is that a kitchen reno does not add more value, such as central air conditioning or additional GLA space does. So why spend more than we have to updating the kitchen? He also thinks it is wrong to have a kitchen so large, relative to the size of the house (in my plan A, the kitchen area would triple in size, but that is only because the current kitchen is TINY!!!).

My stand is that I do not want to save money to settle on a limited design when there is a better layout for our family.

We are the first house into a LARGE neighborhood of very expensive homes, so we could never renovate beyond our neighborhood value. We do not intend to sell for 15+years, but what would future buyers think? I am bringing a realtor friend by for her opinion.

Plan A = expanding the kitchen by taking down the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and familyroom

Ripple effects of this design, mainly structural costs:

- Remove load-bearing (used to be exterior wall)

- Adding a ceiling to the familyroom (currently a cathedral ceiling) to install recessed lights, make it a continuous space from the kitchen)

- More flooring and radiant heating costs (expanding into the familyroom)

- New plumbing (plan B sticks w/ current plumbing location)

- Additional windows/building new header

- While I do not have concrete number yet (I have a few quotes in the pipeline), I guestimate these costs to be about 30%+ more than Plan B.

What is gained by plan A:

- My beloved wall of windows (into private beautiful backyard), natural light

- 3 distinct work area (for me, DH, and my 2 kids � 7.5 and 6yrs who likes to help cook now)

- Better traffic flow, open space (feels less disjointed)

- The fireplace can be a focal point to ground the whole space

Plan B:

- While this layout saves some of the structural costs, it feels ?limited.

- It feels wasteful to have almost 2 mudrooms

- The cooktop/island area seems cramp; that is where most of the storage is for daily use

There is a Plan C, but this is definitely NOT on the table.

It requires new foundation where the front porch is (to extend the kitchen/keeping room into the front porch, lining up with the garage), impacting the roofline, changing doorways, etc. Definitely not within our budget ever.

But it does make the fireplace a beautiful focal point and a good size keepingroom (like a real familyroom/great room).

Thread to Plan A

Thread to Plan B - limited layout

Layout of the house as it currently is:

Plan A:

Sorry but I do not have a 3D overview of Plan A, but this one shows a more open area, and the great windows.

Plan B:

Plan C is what LavendarLass may be envisioning, but this is definitely just wishful thinking:

Thank you so very much,

Amanda/huango

Comments (24)