SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Kitchen Pix from Nearly Done New Build

drjoann
13 years ago

I was going to wait until the whole thing is done & I move in, but there have been some very kind requests that I post the progress of the kitchen in our new house. We live in Houston, but are building in Upstate SC. I was there last week after not seeing it since July, so it was pretty amazing.

With respect to the ongoing discussion about the openness of kitchen, we were lucky since we designed this house ourselves and got to marry the best of both (at least IMVHO). We have a formal dining room and great room for entertaining, but the kitchen opens on to a keeping room where we plan to watch TV which also leads to the pocket office and the door to the screened porch. This gives us an openness in the areas where we do our everyday living.

Here is a picture of the main part of the kitchen as viewed from the breakfast banquette. We are missing some appliances and cabinet hardware.

The cabinets are custom and my cabinetmaker & I drew inspiration from many of the beautiful kitchens I saw here on the forum. The granite is Marinus and the island is honed Alabama white marble. The subway tiles are honed marble (I don't know what it is because that item on the quote is gibberish). The cabinets are painted in BM Mascarpone and the wall is BM Nantucket Fog. Towards the back is an opening to the mudroom that is actually a pocket door to make it easier for a blind dog to navigate through.

This is from the other direction looking across the island & peninsula toward the banquette:

The pendants & dinette chandelier are Mayflower by Hinkley.

Here is a blurry picture of the island.

The front is shelving to hold my collection of Staub French ovens. That makes them both decorative and easier to access. The toekick is a drawer for my step ladder and at each end is shallow storage for things like oils, vinegars, etc. Luckily, when we were there I noticed that it hadn't been built per drawings to a lower height so I can use it as a baking center. That is being fixed, now.

This is close to the view I will have of the keeping room (TV on wall) when I am working at the peninsula. That is, essentially, a prep sink on steroids since DH has his cleanup sink at the back wall.

Here is a closer view of the banquette. I'm so glad we did that ceiling and had the seat and the bookcases stained to add some warmth. I think we will end up with a custom table. DH & I plan to sit on chairs at the table so we don't have to scoot along the banquette & we have the best view out to the woods.

Here's a view from inside the keeping room looking back across the kitchen through the barrel arch to the keeping room. The half walls are bookcases on the keeping room side built by the cabinetmaker.

A picture of a really nice portion of the Marinus to the right of where the range (Capital Culinarian) will be.

And, this isn't part of the kitchen area, per se, but it is looking from the kitchen doorway through to the butler's pantry that is tucked in another barrel arch between the hallway and the dining room. I was so happy I could get this in because it sits over the down staircase to the lower level.

Thanks for all of the support through this project. It has been an immense help.

Jo Ann

Comments (30)