SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Nearly Done U Kitchen w/pix (needs backsplash of course!)

colorfast
11 years ago

Some of you have probably given up on me, but a reveal is finally here. After a summer of barbecuing and washing dishes in the laundry sink, we mostly finished our kitchen. Took a break for the holidays and then dug into the kids' bathroom (still in progress). Backsplash still not decided. I need to do tile in the bathroom, so I am wanting to do all of that at once.

This has been a partial DIY. We designed the layout roughly around the same U. One goal was to create better, more reachable storage, as we were so packed. We were able to get a lot of clutter off my counters, including the microwave. We also made one wall of cabinets across from our U deeper, and we added a small counter there for toast and sandwich making. We also had one cabinet on the peninsula but lightened it up with glass doors on both sides, also allowing a pass through of dishes for tablesetting. We were able to make all these ideas come true because we had a custom cabinetmaker who worked with us.

Thanks to all of you who answered me: palimpsest, rhome, breezy, remodelfla and many more, also to the paint, plumbing, flooring and electrical boards. Special thanks to Sparklekitty for posting her red birch kitchen. On to what we all really want: The pictures.

BEFORE

There was a whole wall of cabinets with 7-inch deep shelves (there were 3 more like this example):

Dark corners (no lazy Susans or other help) In reality these counters were way more full of stuff, including a huge crockpot, blender, and more.

NOW

As we enter the room from entryway/hall:

The door looked narrow before when it went to the ceiling; we added an arch:

Small Pantry to right of microwave (a friend pointed out that a few shallow shelves are nice) Love the spice rack:

Yes, Virginia, stockpots really do fit in a drawer!

Many of the items in this cab were in children's bedrooms; a few were tucked away in awful dark corners:

Still need a hanging light over table (your ideas welcome...needs to be on a chain not a straight pole):

And now my two favorites:

My Dynamic blue Granite:

Rev-a-shelf Two-stage Corner Pullout. I didn't have room for a lazy susan due to the size of the U. I get SOO much stuff on this baby. Plus all the guys love the engineering of it. We took video before the counters went in.

Stats and specs:

Cabinets: Red birch, natural color/conversion finish

Granite: Dynamic Blue

Flooring: Shaw Wood Laminate SL244 Natural Values II in 651 Fairfield Pine

(Style 0244U Color 00651)

Refrigerator: Kenmore

Microwave: Kenmore (includes convection)

Hood: Frigidaire from AJ Madison

Sink: Silgranit Anthracite 50/50

Faucet: KWC (model discontinued)

Dishwasher: Kenmore (3 years old)

Stove: GE Gas (very pre-existing)

Pulls and knobs: Amerock Wrought Iron Dark, Pull BP19202WID Knob BP1586WID

Favorite features: My blind-corner pull-out and my pass-through glass cabinet

Still to do:

Backsplash (Your ideas welcome)

Light fixture over the table (your ideas welcome)

New table (would like expandable to seat 8-10 prefer 36"wide)

Window treatments (lower priority for now)

Organizers in 1-2 drawers

Shaw Wood Laminate Closeups

Amerock Hardware

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida