SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Not-nearly-done-kitchen PART 2 from Breezy

breezygirl
11 years ago

The thread I posted about a year ago on my unfinished kitchen just reached its 150 post maximum as Huango asked a question. Since I can't answer you there, Amanda, I'll post this thread as part 2 and answer here.

posted by Huango on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:50

I really LOVE your kitchen.
I really like your handles placed horizontally.
Sorry I didn't read through, but did you get any pushback when you said to install the handle os the doors (not drawers) horizontally?

My DH and guy friends think I'm nuts and SO WRONG to do it like that. They said that people will break the handle and/or door since the user will pull out the door instead of swinging it open.
Yes, I showed them your beautiful kitchen and they still don't get it.

Of all my cabinets, only 5 of them are doors; rest are drawers. So I think the door handles should be place horizontally just like my drawers.

How did you handle any pushbacks?
What besides "It-is-my-kitchen-and-I-will-put-the-handles-however-I-want" can I use to gain DH and friends' understanding?

Thank you very much,
Amanda

p.s. Thank you very much for your supportive posts on my threads. It has been a very long road and it is incredibly helpful to read such wonderful thoughts.
------------------------------------------------------

First, you're welcome, Amanda, and thanks for the compliments. I received so much help to even remember from all the kind folks here when I was actively reno'ing. I'm happy to pay it forward. I hope your DH is doing better. I have you, him, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

To answer your question, I don't think I asked anybody's permission about my pull placement. DH has some input on the pulls, as in he didn't like them at first, but I eventually ordered what I wanted. I learned at the beginning of this reno not to ask his opinion on certain aesthetic questions unless I knew he had a strong preference or if I couldn't decide myself. We have an almost 20 year history of being unable to come to mutual agreement about many aesthetic items in our home so we compromise with something completely boring that neither one of us really likes. I saw this whole house reno as a chance to find my style. I don't mean this all to sound cold. For the most part I did what I wanted. Besides, DH is too busy working and traveling for work to care much about anything besides spending his small amount of free time with his family. :)

My cab maker, bless his patient heart, had never seen anyone with so few uppers, so many drawers, pulls of different sizes, and pulls on all cabs and drawers that when we got to pull placement, he simply did what I asked. He did triple and quadruple check to make sure that he understood what I wanted though. In the end, he said he liked the pulls and the placement and would offer it as an option to future customers if they were unsure of their hardware placement.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you, really, other than to say its MY kitchen and I'll do as I please! I think we've established in another thread that I'm a b*t$h mom, and that must rub off in other areas of my life. I didn't ask permission about where to place my pulls. I'm the one that uses the kitchen hours and hours a day and does 98.5467% of the work in there anyway. Really, it's no one's business but yours, and maybe your DH's. Certainly not your friends. I guess I would say to be strong and stand up for yourself. I don't mean for that to sound condescending!

A far as function goes, I have had zero issues with the horizontal placement nor has anyone else who has worked in my kitchen. In fact, not one person has even mentioned the unusal placement, not even my SIL who installed hers in the same manner. I think that says something that no one even notices!

No one has tried to pull out a door. Unless you've never functioned in a house before, I think a person's subconscious is smart enough to see a door and realize a door swings open. And I find the ergonomics to be better this way anyway. With uppers, I don't have to reach as far up to open a door as I would if the pulls were in a more traditonal vertical placement up farther on the stiles. With the lowers, I don't have to reach as far down to open the doors as I would if the pulls were in a more traditional vertical placement down lower on the stiles. Try that argument on the boys.

Plus, the garbage pullout would drive me completely and utterly nutso if the pull was down lower vertically. Bonkers!

I also like the visual simplicity of the pulls all running in one direction. Some kitchens look busy to me with so many horizontal and vertical lines running everywhere. There are others who have done this, also. Have you seen other kitchens like this?

I hope I helped some! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen!

Here's my current kitchen frustration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 1

This post was edited by breezygirl on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 5:38

Comments (28)