SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gena_hooper

Giving up eat-in kitchen (layout help please)

Gena Hooper
14 years ago

I posted a couple of months ago worrying about lead in my flaking cabinet paint. The cabinets tested negative for lead so now we have the luxury of taking our time and doing this right. I'm so excited about starting this process!

I'm posting my current layout and the layout that seems most feasible to us. As lagniappe, I'm tossing in a symmetrical (but probably prohibitively expensive and possibly not more useful) layout. I'd love to hear your thoughts and refinements. My main concern is that I'm giving up a true eat-in kitchen by expanding the kitchen's footprint. We're not formal people, and our dining room (adjacent to the kitchen) would be a fine space for daily dining. However, losing a formal dining room may also be a negative if for some reason, we had to sell.

This is our current kitchen layout. The triangle on the outside wall is a built-in corner china cabinet in the dining room. The entire room (kitchen/breakfast) is 10'x 21'.

Problems:

1. Poor flow. You enter/exit through the work area. The children do this multiple times, and it gets very, very trying (not to mention dangerous as the cook pivots about with a pot of boiling noodles). Guests have no place to hang out, and they get trapped in the breakfast area.

2. The counter under the window by the peninsula is currently a desk. We'll need to replace the window with a shorter window (to accommodate counter height) and take out the radiator (to accommodate a base cab).

3. Budget! We want to keep this around $35K which I realize is pretty small beans for a kitchen remodel, especially one in the Boston area. So I'd really like to keep appliances in place and do as little structural work as possible.

What I love:

1. Light. It's a long, narrow room with low ceilings, but it has tons of natural light.

2. There are great pantries (two narrow/shallow; one wide/deep) right outside the kitchen doorway. These pantries store all of our food so the only food items kept in the kitchen proper are spices, coffee beans, fresh fruit, and a small sugar bowl.

This is what my husband and I are considering. We'd like a place where my children can help me cook (cut out cookies, stir batter, etc.) so we're keeping the peninsula, making it deeper, and adding seating. The kitchen needs to accommodate multiple workers. We have children setting the table, my husband cooking, me prepping (or vice versa).

One possible issue: we bought an under cabinet stainless 36" Vent a Hood on craigslist. It was an amazing deal. Now I wonder if it will look odd in our space because there will not be flanking cabinets by the hood. The range/hood will be right next to the window.

This next layout addresses that hood issue and adds symmetry, but I think is probably outside our budget because it moves a window. We really want to stick to our budget (three kids to put through college eventually, need retirement savings, etc.). Buying a different hood is probably cheaper than resiting a window!

Sorry this post was so long. Please let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward as always to your comments. Thanks!

Gena

Comments (15)