SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cork2win

Please help me with my cabinet struggle

cork2win
16 years ago

We're building a new house. I had been planning all along on using IKEA cabinets, so the kitchen has been designed specifically to fit their stock sized cabinets.

Our builder is Amish. They told us their cabinet guy could do whole house cabinets for less than IKEA. After two meetings and waiting several weeks, I finally got their quote and door sample color. While they are NOT cheaper than IKEA, they are solid maple, custom made cabinets and are willing to do some custom configurations for our bath and hutch which I wouldn't be able to get if I went with IKEA.

My problem is, I just LOVE the way the IKEA cabinets look and with these Amish guys, I'm really just putting my trust in them that they come through with something I like, because reaching them is near impossible and they're 2 hours away from me and they just have some pictures I gave them to work from and after working with them for a while I know that they're going to do whatever they want, not exactly what *I* want. Not to mention they don't use the good Blum hardware that IKEA uses and I can't get them to use it either (they have their own stuff they use and aren't willing to think "outside the box").

So I'm struggling with whether I go with IKEA because I love the look and hardware quality and accessories so much, giving up some quality due to the lack of solid wood doors, plywood boxes, etc or if I just trust the Amish guys to do something that I'm happy with and go for it.

I could probably save us about $4000 total if I went with IKEA, but of course the cabinets wouldn't be exactly the same configuration since I can't do some of the arrangements like the Amish guys would, so it's hard to do an Apples to Apples comparison. With IKEA we'd also have to wait until March or April when the Ohio store hopefully opens, then we'd have to do all the ordering, travel and assembly ourselves which has to be added to the price, so in the end I'm probably not saving all that much and I may be delaying installation of our cabinets waiting that long (not sure if we're going to be ready for cabs by spring or not).

I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have any comments on my dilemma, one way or the other? Am I not thinking of something? Is solid wood so much better than IKEA that it's worth style possibly not being what I want? I just have no idea.

Comments (9)