SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

so tired of this remodel...contemp. cabinet dilemma and choice

rockybird
13 years ago

I am beginning to realize that I got in over my head (again). I bought a fixer upper home in a beautiful neighborhood. It is mcm, built in 1958 by a locally famous architect (I even met his wife and went to a documentary about her husband with her!). I bought the house as a short sale (which had been abandoned for years). Not only was it not liveable but this glass box/red rock and fir home had been remodeled in early 80's country style. After one contractor neglected to get permits (project shut down), and a second one overcharged me, I decided to manage it alone. I immediately realized that I was in over my head and enlisted the help of the NICEST (and handsome) architect. New wiring, new canned lights throughout, new concrete scored concrete floors, walls taken down, soffits cut back, holes patched, new drywall with flat texture thoughout, etc. I am now not on a general budget anymore, but on a serious budget.

The house is in a multimillion dollar neighborhood. (I dont belong here!) I wanted henrybuilt, but as new items were added to the budget (new AC units, etc), I began to realize hb was not reasonable. So, I then decided on ikea to use temporarily until I can afford hb (maybe 3-7 years, depending on what I prioritize ahead of the kitchen-I need 128 linear feet of floor to ceiling glass replaced, to begin with). Ikea is having a 40% off ctrtops, so that brings the IKEA kitchen price to 9k installed (with a huge island).

But now I am having second thoughts. Spending 9k only to tear it out doesnt seem right. I found a a custom cabinet maker who makes contemporary european cabs. It would cost around 15-18k when done for cabs alone and he can do it in stages, as I afford it. Alternatively, I could spend 1-2k on the ikea varde and get the barebones cabs until I can afford hb. I dont know if anyone has advice. I am becoming overwhelmed with the details of this house remodel and cant seem to think straight anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadle

Comments (10)