SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcwesley_gw

Cabinet space around the rangetop

dcwesley
16 years ago

As a step towards trying to finalize my layout for my 13 x 11 kitchen, I am beginning to think about what I need to store by "zone". Today's thoughts revolve around those items I want to keep within easy reach of our gas 36" rangetop. As I organize my thought I have some questions about how others handle the following:

1. We currently have an electric stove with downdraft. I know we will now need a hood above the stove with plenty of power. When I look at pictures I notice some kitchens have only a hood over the stove, and some have a hood with a cabinet above. Are those cabinets cosmetic only hiding the ducting, or is there room for storage also? If there is storage room, what types of items do you store there?

2. We use cast iron to cook a lot. My husband would like to hang some of it for easy access. Since our ceilings are 7Â8" (and he is 6Â4") I am thinking the only place we could hang it would be over the rangetop. Does anybody out there do that? If so, does it interfere with the ventilation? Do the pans tend to get "ucky" from cooking?

3. I want a pull out 6" or 9" pantry base cabinet with two shelves immediately to one side of the rangetop to hold bottles of cooking wine, oil, etc on the bottom and spice jars on the top shelf. I saw this at a demo kitchen and loved it. It seemed so handy to have all those bottles there. Does anyone have this? Does it work for you?

4. On the other side of the rangetop I want a base cabinet with 4 drawers to store cooking utensils, hot pads, trivets, etc.

5. Under the rangetop I would like to store pans and lids, as well as our large strainers. My first inclination is to have two deep drawers? Are drawers sturdy enough to hold this much weight, especially if it includes cast iron? Or do you recommend shelves? Or cabinets with pull out shelves? If the rangetop is 36" do I use a 36" cabinet, or slightly larger?

What else should I have in the cooking zone? (The way I am thinking I also have prep, baking, cleanup, breakfast, and snacks.)

Thank you so much for all of your help. I am learning SO much here.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022