SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Lighting help please -- here's our kitchen plan

tetrazzini
15 years ago

Hi, I posted this in lighting but hope to get a few more responses here. Below is the plan for our renovated kitchen. The recessed lights are shown as little circles. It's not in place yet. I'd love if any of you who have recessed lighting can advise me on what I have planned here. Is it too much, or not all in the right places? Will the recessed lights give off enough ambient light around the room, or do we need to add specific ambient fixtures? I want ample light that's even in the room, without dark spots. I also want good task lighting (my eyes are getting old.) I'm not interested in accent or decorative lighting.

The kitchen is 13'8" wide by 19' long. The east side of the kitchen is an addition, and it is only 12' wide in this area. The ceiling is 8'8" high. The kitchen will be mostly white and light colors, except for some butcher block counters. The east side has to-the-counter uppers and the south side (stove) has no uppers. So there will be no undercabinet lights. The west side is storage, with full height cabinets, 24" deep.

I've ruled out CFLs because of the mercury issue. I broke a CF bulb the other day and don't want to have to worry about that. Incandescents seem too inefficient, so I guess I'll go with 5" cans with line voltage halogen bulbs on dimmers. Maybe soon there'll be LEDs to fit. The lights will be in zones, so they won't all have to be on at once. Also, there will be two pendants over the island, which take 100 watt bulbs each.

Do you think 4 cans on the sink side is overkill? What about on the south side? I'm wondering if we should use 65 watt or 75 watt bulbs in each can. What do you use? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate any advice.

Debbie

From House

Comments (2)