SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Good news (only slightly OT)

divamum
16 years ago

We are in the final stages of clearing out my daughter's old room (since she's now very happily upstairs and we are reclaiming her old room as a music room). One of the things we've been wondering what to do about is the FLOOR - as a music room, we need a hard floor for acoustic purposes but there was carpet over it when we bought in 2004 which, although I hate carpet, was newly installed so we just left it, and we figured there must be something gross under it so have been less than hopeful (if you hit that sentence hard enough with a hammer it DOES make sense lol)

SURPRISE!!!

The original wood floor.

It will need refinishing at some point for sure, but even now it is TOTALLY useable as far as we can see (we haven't finished pulling up the carpet so there may be a horror somewhere in the corner, but so far so good). AND (this is the important thing, really) it appears to match the wood in the living room - I have wanted to put french doors between those two rooms to make it possible to open both of them out into a bigger space but one of the stumbling blocks was the floors. But it turns out they're THE SAME WOOOD! I'm thrilled.

If this turns out to be under the layers in the kitchen too (see? Only SLIGHTLY OT :), then the new dining room will also have the same wood (although I'm less hopeful about that, since it looks like something may have been nailed over it at some point, plus we're changing the footprint by taking down the wall and blahblahblah. We'll see when we pull it up, I guess!)

In any case, that wood floor makes me ABSURDLY happy and I have been bouncing since we found it last night. Tragic, ain't it?!!!

Comments (11)