SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieh1926_gw

Finished Kitchen -- Phew (lots of pics!)

julieh1926
13 years ago

Well, we're 90% done! I want to thank everyone on this site for all your help and knowledge! I lurked a lot, posted some, and learned invaluable stuff here.

I'll list out the details, give some thoughts and explain where we were and where we are now.

First the details:

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Hayward (also known as Putnam) in Natural Cherry

Counters: Barroca Soasptone from Buck's County Soapstone

Ovens: GE Monogram ZET2RMSS

Fridge: 42" built-in GE Monogram ZIS42ONX

Cooktop: 36" Wolf Electric (no gas at our house): CT36EIS

Hood: Best by Broan

Dishwasher: Bosch SHV68PO3UC

Faucets (main & drinking): Grohe LadyLuxe 3 in Real Steel (note that the drinking faucet at the sink isn't in yet)

Water Filter for Drinking Faucet (not installed yet)

Soap Dispense: Grohe Deluxe XL

Sink: Ticor S105-8R

Pendant Light: Tech Lighting Coronado in Honey Onyx

Floors: maple in a cinnamon stain

Microwave: our very old (almost 20 years -- has been in the basement for 12) Sharp

What we did: Our house is a typical 1970's Rambler in the Northern VA area. Before, when you entered the house there was a formal dining "room" which was really an open platform, that led to a step-down to a formal living room. The kitchen was a postage-size stamp of a square. Amazingly, it worked really well... for one person. The cabinets were really cheap particle board and were literally coming off the walls. We had an informal dining area and den off the kitchen.

This is a DIY job, with my husband doing everything except electric and some drywalling. Took a bit longer, but we saved sooo much $ that we were able to splurge elsewhere. We also tacked the back room and turned it into a pool table room and fixed up the basement.

Our goal: we created a formal dining room in the area where the breakfast room/den used to be. We then converted the center of our house (kitchen, dining platform and living room) into a large kitchen-great room. This is working perfectly for our family.

We did opt for a 2 level island (which I know is not popular here). We did so to set a divider from the great room to the kitchen. We have plenty of room for prep work at the counters, and projects/homework is done at the table primarily.

We couldn't be happier.

Favorite feature is definitely the soapstone. We just LOVE it and I still can't believe it's mine! We also are really happy with the cabinets. I know Kraftmaid gets a bad rap, but we had a great experience with them all the way through.

So far, there are only 2 things I would have done differently: the positioning of our faucet isn't the greatest, and causes the reach of the faucet into the sink to be shorter than I want. But... no fixing that.

Also, while I love the pendant, it gets lost in the paint color. I plan on putting in a window treatment eventually that will hopefully solve this problem.

If you've kept with me this far, here are the pix (some before included) (sorry some are a bit fuzzy!):

Before:

New:

Comments (38)