SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Free wheeling butcher block 'Island' / cart anyone?

pbrisjar
15 years ago

So, Hubby this morning surprised me with an idea that I have cherished way down in my heart for a really long time. (I think he got a hint of the idea when I was just drooling over the butcher block islands we saw at Ikea.) He wanted to know what I thought about having a wheeled/mobile island. It would have to be on the small side as the kitchen is small, but I think it could be truly functional as I tend to do my prep on the peninsula and then schlep it over to the stove. As it's more than just a pivot (it's 3-4 steps) that means laps and messes.

It would definitely be a butcher block top, probably wood construction. I'm thinking a drop leaf on one side (or two) would be cool.

Since I'm almost always a solo cook, I don't have to worry much about clearances and such. I can even see where/how it would actually help on those few occasions when there are others in the kitchen space. When not needed, it could either hang out in the middle-ish of the kitchen or be rolled around to the other side of the peninsula. Heck, it could even act as a food/service cart between the kitchen and the dining room (which will be the other side of the peninsula.

Whatcha think? Anyone have any pictures of something like that? Do you think the wheels would hurt our wood floors? Anything else I'm not thinking about?

I don't have a floor plan, this is the best pic I have of the whole kitchen right now:

From Kitchen

Comments (5)