SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Pros & Cons of Butcher Chopping Block

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

I am thinking of incorporating a butcher chopping block into my kitchen island, or having it as the island. I find them attractive, especially the thick, well-worn ones. It gives the kitchen a down to earth feel.

Could you please comment on the pros and cons of having a heavy, thick butcher chopping block in the kitchen? Here is what I think of so far.

Pros:
1. It provides a nice big surface to cut lots of veggies on. Therefore, there is no need to transfer things to bowls until one is done cutting.
2. One could knead dough on it. I read that a typical butcher block is 34" high, a comfortable height for kneading dough.
3. It looks pretty, so there is no need to hide it, unlike a regular cutting board.

Cons:
1. It's heavy, so a freestanding butcher block cannot be easily moved like a wood cutting board (unless it's on wheels).
2. If it sits next to a sink, it might be hard to keep it dry after each cleaning.
3. It might be challenging to clean the surface after chopping garlic and onion, or slicing raw meat.
4. If it's part of (or at one end of) an island, stuff might get caught in between the block and the rest of the island.

Here are some inspiration pictures I found on Houzz. These butcher blocks are mostly antiques... to me, they are more attractive than the newly made ones.

Traditional Kitchen by Other Metro Furniture & Accessories William Olsen Designs

Traditional Kitchen by Buffalo Architects & Designers Murphy & Co. Design

Traditional Kitchen by Brevard Architects & Designers Platt Architecture, PA

Traditional Kitchen by Washington General Contractors Superior Home Services Inc

Rustic Kitchen

Traditional Kitchen by Other Metro Media & Bloggers CustomMade.com

Industrial Kitchen by Emmaus Kitchen & Bath Designers Jarrett Design, LLC

Traditional Kitchen by Scottsdale Interior Designers & Decorators Nelson Barnum Interiors

Traditional Kitchen

Comments (27)