SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Hope you don't mind if I vent

annkathryn
11 years ago

I'm 4.5 months into a whole house remodel with plans to move back into the house in 2 weeks. Things have been going basically ok with only minor snags. This week it seems like it's just been one thing after another, so I'm here to vent :-)

1. The guy who templated our kitchen counters for Caesarstone pointed out a couple of areas that weren't level. The day before installation I asked my GC to confirm that everything was leveled out. He acted offended by the question. Sure enough, when the install happened 2 days ago there were lots of adjustments that needed to be made. The Caesarstone installers were pretty patient about it, all things considered.

2. 600 square feet of new flooring was just installed. I asked my GC 3 times to cover it to protect from the dust and traffic of all the subs going in and out. Finally DH and I bought a big roll of resin paper and did it ourselves.

3. Did I mention 600 square feet of flooring? The flooring subcontractor forgot to add in the hallway area so I ordered 500 square feet of flooring per his direction. I had to scramble to get the additional 100 square feet which was in a warehouse about 150 miles away. Fortunately the floor sub drove out to get it.

4. And speaking of flooring, the existing oak floors are going to be refinished next week. I've asked my GC several times to confirm that his original quote is going to cover the entire cost of the flooring subcontractor's work because there were some changes to what we had installed new vs what is going to be refinished. Finally I sent him an email saying that I'm not approving any work over the cost of the original bid, if they do it anyway then I'm not paying for it.

5. I get to the house today to find my GC and my painter in a big argument about caulking. I have my own painter on the job because he's incredibly meticulous about details. My GC is not. Fortunately DH was there to referee.

6. There's no sign that my GC is going to apply edge banding to some of the cabinet drawers that needed to be cut down to smaller sizes. I bought the edge banding myself because GC seemed clueless. Final payment won't be made until this is done.

7. Vanity counters were installed today and every single wall, all three of them, was wavy. These are all new walls, is it really that hard to get a straight run of sheetrock?

But the thing that put me over the edge today was:

8. Text from GC saying they did a standard 12" rough-in for the toilet and I have to return the one I have because it's for a 10" rough-in. THE TOILET HAS BEEN SITTING IN ITS BOX IN THE SPARE BEDROOM FOR 4 MONTHS, WHY ARE THEY JUST FIGURING THIS OUT NOW? AND NO I CAN'T RETURN THE TOILET 120 DAYS AFTER IT WAS DELIVERED. A quick google search makes it seem that this can be surmounted. I can't bring myself to drive over to the house now, I'll let them figure it out, but who knows what kind of rework will have to happen with the tile if they cut out too big an area.

You know how Springsteen says in Rosalita "Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"? That song has been running through my head all afternoon.

OK I feel better now.

Comments (11)