SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Hope you don't mind one more idea :)

lavender_lass
12 years ago

First, I'd like to apologize for posting so many variations of my plan (which has gotten me a bit of a scolding on another forum) but I've been so fortunate to have found help with all this. No one I know, friends/family, is really that interested and although it must seem like I change my mind a lot, it's been a trick to balance what we can afford, with what the house can realistically accomodate, keeping enough of the original house to keep the family happy and still finding something WE love and want to live in. Thanks for your patience and please let me know what you think, since I do not want to bother Summerfield again, until I know this will work :)

Well, I was very excited about my farmhouse plan...and then three things happened, over the weekend. First, not getting the piano (well that happened a little earlier) but also realized that a piano is not a great fit in the sunroom (thank you Nancy and others) due to too much light and heat on piano...and it just takes up so much space.

Second, taking down the wall between the dining room and kitchen is not a popular idea. Lots of memories associated with the dining room and also taking down the wall (while not load bearing) does have some other issues which will make it more expensive than originally anticipated.

Third, okay, this is the big one...I've been totally hooked on French Cooking at Home with Laura Calder and I am loving her kitchen. It's so 'me' and really works with my style of cooking. Huge island with a cooktop (so your back isn't facing your guests...big problem with my other plan) and lots of prep space. I also like the double ovens being close, but not next to the fridge...and all those windows with plants and herbs.

So, all this brings me to (deep breath) another plan, or rather, a variation of plan B, which has been around for a long time. It's a little hard to read, but there is a big window (or windows) over the kitchen sink, backing onto the farmhouse sink, in the utility room. The pantry is across from it, with broom closet, freezer, cabinet with hamper storage, washer and dryer on the outside wall. Lots of windows over the laundry area, and a door to the sunroom.

This is much smaller, but still large enough for a couple of wicker chairs with a table and even a small ottoman. Lots of plants and a baker's rack with plants, on the wall by the utility door. This way, I can still close the doors and keept the kitties from chewing on my plants, but have easy access to the big sink.

The dining room will have a window seat, with shelves on both sides for books and display...with lots of tea accessories, jars of tea, herbs, etc. I really love to 'have tea' whether it's just a cup of tea with a cookie or muffin, or fancy tea with little desserts. This should give me the space to do it...oh, and still double as a dining room, if anyone will drive out after dark! The one downside to living on the farm :)

So, here's the plan...and THANK YOU for sticking with me through all this, but better to find out now, while I'm cleaning out the farmhouse and getting ready to remodel, than halfway into the process!

{{gwi:1455503}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio