SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marriedcoug

Hope you don't mind Newbie Veggie Gardening Questions

marriedcoug
11 years ago

Sorry for these basic questions, I hope some of you don't mind helping me out.

I have two 4x4 raised beds where I've already planted a few seeds, on 4/28.

I planted:

Lettuce

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Green Beans

Green Onions

Either tomorrow night or next weekend (5/19), I plan to pick up two tomato plants and one sweet bell pepper plant at the hardware store and transplant those. I will transplant a couple of green pepper plants that we started inside a few weeks ago, probably tomorrow night.

I'll also transplant some herbs around the edges. I'll need to pick those up at the hardware/gardening store too.

So, here are my questions, since I'm new to this, other than a couple of tomato plants and herbs in the past.

What do I do now? I feel like I need to be working in them every night, but there doesn't seem to be much to do. I assume they need more than just watering. At what point do I need to add plant food? Or do I?

Also, I'm already getting a lot of little weeds growing in. They're small two-leaf weeds that are a PITA to pick out. Anything I should do differently to keep them out?

And pests, we have deer and rabbits. I've been spraying that awful-smelling deer/rabbit repellent spray on the wood around the beds. However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to break down and put up some wire around them. If you have any tips on how to put something up that won't be an eyesore for the neighbors, that would be much appreciated as well.

I'm cautiously excited about having fresh, home-grown veggies all summer! Just hopefully I don't kill the plants now. Any and all tips you have would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)